• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lesson learnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Hiya everyone,
For starters my internet has been out for a month, now I'm not addicted to the internet so it wasn't a problem. Until one of my birdies got very sick
Kylie we acting funny for a week or so and I was watching her,and I kept feeling her body as she was always rubbing it against the side, on the Friday before last, I felt a lump so I rushed her to the avian vets thinking egg-binding. They did and x ray on her and found that the lump wasn't an egg it was a mass, and her liver was inflammed and there was pressure on her airsacs so they kept her over, giving her fluids, anti biotics and painkillers. I went to see her the Monday, she was looking aweful, really not herself, very down, she perked up abit when she saw me but she was not nearly as feisty as she usually is. So he kept her for the full week and took bloods, and found that the lump was actually made out of accumulative faeces, and that the blood matched the profile of psittacosis, I was absolutely heart broken because I'd already been struggling on deciding whether to put her down or not. The vet called me up and explained it all to me and that I could infact take her home and treat her, but obviously isolate her and I also needed to get my other 2 checked, and either carry her on for the full 6 weeks of treatment or pts her. I asked if there had been any progress and he said that she was fighting back and really hanging in there, so I took her home, isolated her, she's under strict iso and have been taking feacal samples of my other 2 birds so it can be sent off and see if they're healthy. I;m more worried about the budgie she's been living with the past 7 months. And I know that it's dangerous for people...I just couldn't face pts-ing her if she was fighting back, it wasn't fair. The avian vets (both of them at the practise) said that she was worth all the investigation, they understood how much she means to me, other people though haven't been so sympathetic, I will accept it if Kylie's too far gone to save, I understand that but where she has a chance of recovery I'm taking the chance, lots of people can't understand why I'd spend so much on a budgie I rescued for £5, but she's part of my family, and I really should have gotten her seen by an avian vet as soon as I got her.

She's doing well, eating, starting to get the energy to fly abit, we bought her her own heatlamp, this has cheered her up alot and she's getting treatment daily, she doesn't get too distressed during it, and it is making the lump softer and smaller, in 2 weeks she'll have another xray to see how it's going, if it's not working then I may have to pts her, but I'm not giving up yet. It's odd though, ever since we brought her back, she's been soo happy to see me, she hops on my hand and everything when before she would just stare at me with disgust aha.

Moral of that story is, get your birdies seen as soon as you can to get them cleared. So obviously until everyone down my way has been given the all clear will I consider getting more birds but until then I think I need to nurse my kylie and take care of my current ones.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:hug8::hug8::hug8: I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's so clear how much you love her though. It sounds like you are taking great care of her. I hope she pulls through :heart:

So many people think that budgies don't need to see the vet because they're so small or not worth it or cost so little or "they look fine"... I find it just the opposite :( With the really little ones, waiting until they're showing obvious symptoms more frequently means it's too late because they're so delicate. They are also more likely to be disease carriers because of irresponsible mass breeding practices of most pet stores and big breeders of these birds that are so sadly considered disposable. Very sad.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh goodness, I'm so sorry that you are going through this, but SO relieved that you are doing this for Kylie and that she appears to be ready to do battle!
:hug8:
Big hugs for you and your family!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Healing thoughts and Prayers for Kylie and :hug8::hug8::hug8:For You!

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
That's terribly sad, good to see she's fighting back and that she appears to be on the mend.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:hug8: Glad to hear she is improving, prayers that she continues.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodnes, I'm so sorry to hear this. I will keep Kylie in my prayers. I hope your other birds will be alright. :hug5:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many many prayers on the way :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Lots of HEALING ENERGY comng in for Kylie! You did Good!!!!:hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Some people will never understand the value of a pet is not in how much it costs but in how much it loves and you love it. I pity people like that.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying that she gets better soon.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Hugs to you! No matter how small they deserve our full love and care.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.