• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lesson learned

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
This is a 'learn from my stupidity' type of post.

I took Kalypso outside with me yesterday - she has always been velcroed to me, and I couldn't find her harness, so I thought it'd be fine. It wasn't. Something spooked her and she flew up into a tree close by. An hour later, my panicked brain finally remembered how much she loves hearing parrotlet sounds. I booted up YouTube and found one of a parrotlet singing. She immediately came to me. This was after me attempting to climb a dead limbed tree three times, and trying to get a ladder close enough to coax her to me. I am not covered in cuts and bruises, but I take all that. It was 100% my fault. I should never have taken her outside without her harness. I did bring her cage outside - it's a large flight cage, so that was interesting.

So, my lesson from this - don't take her outside without a harness. If she gets lost, play parrotlet noises. Sorry for the fuzzy photo - this was after I got her back inside. You can see tree stuff on my face and neck. She's 100% fine. I gave her a shower too (she wasn't happy), just to be sure she didn't have anything stuck to her, but she's perfectly fine.
Kalypso.jpg

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Im.so very glad you got her back.
Snd so impressed she is harness trained!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww, I´m so glad you got her back safely and in quite a timely manner too. I think the shower was a good idea, just in case.

I won´t tell you what a mistake it was to take her out without a harness because it´s clear you already learned the lesson. It just goes to show, even our most bonded birds can spook and take off. Hopefully this makes the people reading think twice about going outside with an uncaged, unharnessed bird. I know it was definitely reading tales like this from other people that keep me from falling into that false sense of security.

You did great getting her back :)

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
I won´t tell you what a mistake it was to take her out without a harness because it´s clear you already learned the lesson. It just goes to show, even our most bonded birds can spook and take off. Hopefully this makes the people reading think twice about going outside with an uncaged, unharnessed bird. I know it was definitely reading tales like this from other people that keep me from falling into that false sense of security.
That's why I'm sharing. Accidents happen, but I know this was 100% my fault and I've already been beating myself up over it. She's my baby. I've had her since she was just a few months old, straight from a breeder. I would never have forgiven myself if she got hurt. I'm just so thankful that I managed to get her back. I remember others sharing how they got their birds back, and that's what made me think of using the sounds. So, even if this helps one person - it's worth sharing the story, no matter how upsetting it was for me. I'm definitely paying for it physically too, I have MS, and the stress from physically trying to catch her and emotionally - let's just say I'm more then exhausted and weak today.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Happened to my Alexandrine parrot when I was a teen. She was clipped by a previous owner and we didn’t realize that her flight feathers had grown in enough. I was really sick and if I had a clear mind, I would have contested but my ex brought her outside and she got spooked and took off. Lots of flyers and searching for 3 days, she was found and returned by town workers, looking more than a little haggard. Poor baby. Lesson learned.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So glad to hear you got your wee one back unscathed. Not so fortunate for you but it is indeed a lesson well learned.
I take Frankie and Dolly out in my backyard for a wee while but I always have my hands on them and talk to them the whole time. Dolly can't fly and Frankie can but never has so I am extra cautious with him.
However knowing how fast they can get spooked, i really need to get on harness training especially with Frankie.
I foresee injuries in my future....
My only concern is if there are predators, being on a harness and tied down he won't be able to fly or defend himself.

Last edited:

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
My only concern is if there are predators, being on a harness and tied down he won't be able to fly or defend himself.
Honestly, most predators stay away if you're right there, unless they are very determined. I couldn't see them, but I heard them out and about when Kalypso was in the tree and I think that was part of why she wouldn't come when I called her name. Then a squirrel ran in the tree over top of her, so that didn't help. I understand worrying about him defending himself, but honestly, the security of a harness is priceless. I've been working on getting Kyra (my IRN) harness trained. Once she realizes I will take her outside on it, she's ok - otherwise, she is not a happy girl. Kalypso never seemed to mind it much, but I've misplaced it!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Glad she came back to you allot of other dont you were lucky ;)

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Glad there was a happy ending here!

I was reminded of this yesterday when I was outside with Jericho in his harness and a really loud combine (farm equipment) came up the street and he tried to take flight, then again later when one of the neighbourhood kids came up my walkway to show me his new skateboard (also not well received by Jericho). In normal situations he is glued to me when outside, but frights happen.

#frightsleadtoflights

Last edited:

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
This should be a sticky for others to see, I am so happy you got your baby back.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank god it ended well. And, I like her name... It means the Sea Goddess, isn't it?

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Thank god it ended well. And, I like her name... It means the Sea Goddess, isn't it?
Yes! I wanted something that reflected her blue colouring and I have a few aquariums (5, one is 125 gallons), so something that reflected my love of water too. Kalypso just suits her - she's a spicy blue anger pear lol

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
I just want to say thank you to everyone for being so kind <3 I debated making the post as I was worried people would judge, but y'all are the best! I'd be totally fine with this being pinned. If it even saves one person the heartache or trying to get their FID back, I'm all for it.

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
Thank you for sharing. And, yes, I know your story will indeed help someone.

I’m so glad you were able to get her back with no injuries.