• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lesser Sulphur Crested /sulawesi/

Denisa

Moving in
Real Name
Denisa
Hi, i´m new on the Forum. Excuse my English. I have the opportunity to bring to home LSC toos - female / sulawesi /. I know, what care means - it's not a minute to minute decision. Do small LSCs produce a lot of powder? I was asthma, without allergy. Thank you

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Hi Denisa and welcome to the forums :)
They are a dusty bird, but not near as much as the larger cockatoos.
We had a sulpher crested and a moluccan and the moluccan was by far more of a dusty bird.
I'm sure the owners of cockatoos will jump in with their advice.
@JLcribber @Sarahmoluccan @cassiesdad

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue.

Our first 'too was a LSC...Cassie B.

The answer is yes, they do produce the fine powder that is normally associated with Cockatoos. That being said, Milton, our U2, produces even more dust...obviously the relative sizes are the difference...the larger bird does make more dust...

Denisa

Moving in
Real Name
Denisa
Thank you for welcome and answers. Now I noticed, that I write incorret english toos. This is a yellow crested cockatoo (cacatua sulphurea sulphurea). So dust - yes, but less than large toos. When I was with a female, I had no problem (it was in the room with the other 2 cockatoos).

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Your English is fine. :)

Cockatoo dust is a pain, for sure...we have three air purifiers running in our home, as we have a U2 and three Cockatiels (also dusty birds!) living with us.

Actually, you want dust coming off these species...healthy birds produce dust...unhealthy birds do not....

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Our M2 is dusty (she is a larger bird), but we vacuum frequently and clean her cage at least once per day.

It is not a problem for us.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You still may want to look into getting an hepa air purifier for the future. Don't get an ion air purifier is bad for birds. All birds have dust but Grey's & Too's are known to be the dustiest.

Denisa

Moving in
Real Name
Denisa
Hi, is training a small cockatoo (yellow crested) demanding as for large toos? I have no experience with cockatoo ( only budgie and cockatiel) and therefore i am afraid of fail in education. I know, every parrot is a person. I have the possibility of adopting a young female. She is not yet indepedent. I must to feed her once a day ( hand-rearing food ). I had the opportunity to be with her for a week. When she was in the cage, she screamed. She would still be with me.
I would like to help her very much (so that she does not have a bad destiny)
It's a difficult decision, very responsible. Thank you

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Hi Denise,

I don't think anyone here can answer for your specific situation. We have a large M2 cockatoo for almost 10 years (Miss Coco), and she is a really sweet girl, but she can be demanding at times. It appears you have given this a lot of thought, which is important, because birds can be difficult pets, and cockatoos are particularly sensitive and demanding. Most people don't realize how they can sometimes be, and are ill prepared to care for them as pets.

If the bird is young, it would probably be easier for you to train her to be independent, but the bird will need mental stimulation and out of cage time.

It appears to me like you could provide a loving, understanding home to her, and that would go a long way towards correcting any emotional deficiencies the bird currently is experiencing. There is plenty of help on this forum.

Good luck, I hope for a good outcome for both of you!

Bill & Samantha

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. It's nice of you to want to help this bird. How old is she? I'm assuming you know how to hand feed? I have a goffin cockatoo but I got him when he was an adult. Before him, my only bird was a cockatiel. Cockatoos are very smart. So they definitely need lots of toys, mental stimulation, etc. Not from personal experience, but I think one of the keys with a baby 'too is setting up some boundaries. You don't want them to be completely dependent on you. They have to learn independent play, etc. or they become needy adults.

Denisa

Moving in
Real Name
Denisa
Thank you all! I know, this situation is very specific. I want to help her, but i have too a fear. Cockatoo's female ist very very young - about 3,5 months.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
We have adopted an older U2 recently, and have enjoyed him immensely. He is challenging at times, but not as bad as we expected. I saw some babies at a pet store this week, still being hand fed, and their future owners were there visiting. They were snuggling it, petting it all over, treating it like a puppy. I would think that it's probably important not to set up habits with a baby that you don't want as an adult. I think that any information you can learn about an adult cockatoo will help you a lot, as from what I've read and seen, babies are marvelous most of the time, but you need to understand what they are like once they hit sexual maturity, and work to prevent future problems.
Our cockatoo does a great job of being independent, I think the training we've done to teach him to stay on his stand has helped a lot. Plus LOTS of toys. We must spend at least $20 a week on toys or supplies, plus lots of home made ones. He's a better birdie when he's busy!
We're also working with a trainer named Pamela Clark. She helps people all over the world using video chats, and it has been life changing for us and our bird.
Good luck with your decision!!