• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Less Dusty Pigeon Breed

shelby.pax

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Shelby
Hi, I've been looking into different softbills to figure out which one is the best indoor apartment pet and recently found out that some pigeon breeds are apparently not that dusty.

I was told the pouters are the least dusty followed by high flyers and rollers.

I was wondering if anybody can verify this information and whether the dust is negligible or still quite noticeable with these breeds.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Birdbabe has a roller pigeon she rescued, maybe she can help with your question

Coop

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I've been looking into different softbills to figure out which one is the best indoor apartment pet and recently found out that some pigeon breeds are apparently not that dusty.

I was told the pouters are the least dusty followed by high flyers and rollers.

I was wondering if anybody can verify this information and whether the dust is negligible or still quite noticeable with these breeds.
First, I wouldn't consider domestic pigeons softbills since they eat grain exclusively, no bugs or fruit. The most they'll get into is nibble some grass or clover in the yard! I've kept and bred many varieties of pigeon for over 50 years including Birmingham Rollers and Serbian Highfliers. All domestic pigeon breeds (so also the feral rock dove/pigeon they derive from) lack an oil preen gland for waterproofing the feathers. Instead, they grow "powder feathers" that disintegrate into waterproofing powder. No pigeon breed I am familiar with lacks these powder feathers, as the birds would then be at the mercy of the weather and it would be an "antisurvival" trait. Because of this powder, pigeons are a known potential cause of respiratory irritation to people with allergies/asthma. Key word is potential (I have asthma and they don't bother me). Pigeons owners should always, always wear a dust mask type respirator when cleaning or scraping the loft as these allergies can develop over time and be severe. I love my pigeons and I do have some in the house as well as outside, but they all create feather dust. My Moluccan cockatoo has the same kind of disintegrating feathers.

Keep in mind though, that ANY kind of pet bird is going to cause dust in the house; if not from powder feathers, then from the seed and litter debris. I don't think my pigeons cause any more dust in the house than my canaries! If I wanted a pigeon as a pet I would concentrate on the more friendly breeds and not worry about the amount of feather dust.