• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lemons egg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is no one answering you?

A little blood is normal. The odd stance before and after an egg is normal.

She might keep laying for awhile. You need to discourage this as much as possible, hang blankets over windows if you have to. I disturb things and move things continually , even changing feeders and waterers.

She’s so pretty.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The odd stance before and after an egg is normal.
My lovebird hens do this around laying eggs too.

Sorry I didn´t reply sooner, you posted at 2.30am in my time and I went to bed a half hour before.
Finchly posted a good answer and is a great person to ask questions RE eggs and Tiels :)

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
One of her eggs is broken, we checked and pulled it out to take this picture, does this look like a beak, and does that mean that she is low on calcium? Further the egg will rot now correct? If so what should we do, we can’t have a rotting egg and we also can’t have her replacing the egg, especially if low on calcium, what should we do?

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Did you order dummy eggs? Dummyeggs.com

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
@finchly we are working on getting the dummy eggs, but it is unlikely they will get here before the egg beings to decay, they’ll probably be here the 15th of June. Previously lemon did try to nest on a random rock, could we try that?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You could maybe even syringe out the contents of the egg, boil the shell to harden it and put that in.
Broken eggs is why the dummy ones are sooo handy. One of my girls laid two eggs this week, however the second one she must have laid it from the boing and it got a dent when it landed on the grid/cage floor, so when I went to pick it up it, I had to use a little force to pick it from the bars and it broke and egg went everywhere.

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
Okay so as an update, we got dummy eggs (7) and gave them all to her, not realizing we weren’t supposed to give her all 7, we then did some digging, and decided just to leave it as it. Now everything was going great until today- she laid another egg, we can’t buy more dummy eggs, because they are expensive, so what should we do now?

Thank you,
KiwiandLemony

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
Maybe take the egg out and hope that she mistakes it for a dummy egg? I mean.... 7 is a big number, maybe she'll forget? :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
we got dummy eggs (7) and gave them all to her, not realizing we weren’t supposed to give her all 7
I have seen this used as a technique to lessen chronic laying in ´tiels. I do not know much about that but worth reading up on it :)

Just boil the new egg, allow it to cool down then put it back with the dummy eggs (or wherever it was laid)

7 is a big number, maybe she'll forget? :)
Some species of birds count eggs, though I am not sure up to how many. I don´t think it is worth risking it for the sake of 5 minutes to boil and cool the egg.

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
@Zara how long can I keep that egg? I know that it won’t go bad for a while because we did it before we got the dummy eggs, but a month is a long time to have something that could potentially rot. Besides that I did have a quick question- she has had her dummy eggs for 4 weeks now, we read that she should abandon them after a month, but she still hasn’t, is this normal?

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
Okay, big problem, the egg totally cracked and leaked a lot during boiling, we can’t give it back becuase she will either notice or it will rot, what should we do now?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she has had her dummy eggs for 4 weeks now, we read that she should abandon them after a month, but she still hasn’t, is this normal?
Ok I see what is going on here.
This new egg is a new clutch.

Cockatiel incubation time is 18-21 days. Because we know the eggs won´t hatch, we can start to push her off them at 3 weeks by rearranging the cage, introducing new toys, moving the cage etc.
@Tiel Feathers @finchly @Monica any more tips on getting tiels to abandon their nests?

I would remove all dummy eggs, leaving one behind as this is a new clutch. But maybe a ´tiel owner will have other thoughts.

I will post this link I have saved in my bookmarks, it is a post by Monica about egg laying ´Tiels;

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I just get in there and clean things, rearrange, and if that sort of drives her off the nest I grab the nest and do stuff to it too. Wipe the sides, move the eggs. Sometimes I even put in different nest material. She will abandon.

Mine is a chronic egg layer though and it's important to me to get it overwith. You may not want to be that .... aggressive. LOL

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I agree with @finchly, you have to rearrange things. I never let my hen get too comfortable. If I do she doesn’t seem to stop laying and sitting. When she lays an egg I even move it between her sleep cage and day cage. I take her out to fly and eat. Her nest is never more than a folded paper towel. I keep my bossy cockatiel in the same cage with her so she doesn’t get too cozy. So far it has worked because she went from two to three clutches a year to one or two, and she doesn’t usually sit on them at all anymore.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'd say everything's covered! :) Nothing to add at this moment!