• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leg Bands?

BLUmfleet

Moving in
Real Name
Brittany Umfleet
Hello, everyone! I’ve been looking into getting my bird a leg band. She’s 3 months old and is a Regent Parrot. I have clipped her wings only to form a bond with her and do some training but plan to let them grow out from now on. With that being said, I’m afraid to lose her and want to plan in case of this were to happen. Getting a leg band for her would, I’ve read, increase the chance that someone will know she’s someone’s baby and (hopefully) contact me. Does anyone have any experience with the leg bands? Where would I get one? Are they worth it?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Leg bands are dangerous. Look into microchiping or tattoo before considering a leg band.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Closed legbands must be put on when the chick is still in the nest.

At three months old, your only option is a split ring legband. These are dangerous because they can snag on things. I would get your bird microchipped rather than get a legband.

BLUmfleet

Moving in
Real Name
Brittany Umfleet
Closed legbands must be put on when the chick is still in the nest.

At three months old, your only option is a split ring legband. These are dangerous because they can snag on things. I would get your bird microchipped rather than get a legband.
Thank you! I’ll look into it!