• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leg band info

Nikki73

Sitting on the front steps
I am having trouble tracing either one of my amazons bands. We have a blue crowned mealy who was guessed to be 34 years old, he has a band that came with him, not on him, it is the size band that maybe a conure would wear, much too small.
We just adopted a blue front who was guessed to be about 10 years old, but I am not so sure, She wears an open ring band.
Does anyone know good resources for band information?

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Unfortunately there isn’t a standard within the breeding community for leg bands, or even an all-inclusive database. However it’s typical to see closed leg bands with the breeder’s unique ID code, the year of hatching, and an ID# assigned to that individual bird.
Open bands are put on the leg of adult wild caught birds that were detained in an importation station.
If you upload photos of the bands and/or give me exactly what is imprinted on them I may be able to figure it out.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is the band on my new girl, it only says
'NEB 114"
I believe that this means that she was wild-caught. "NEB" refers to the quarantine station she was taken to.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is the band on my new girl, it only says
'NEB 114"
That looks like an import (quarantine) band to me. N = NY, the state, the second letter stands for the specific quarantine station and the 3rd letter goes with the numbers (bird id #- B114). BTW, importing of birds was stopped in 1992 so I'm assuming that this bird is older than 10 years old.
As for the other band, CO = Colorado.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Unfortunately I think this is all i'll be able to tell you about your Blue-fronted Amazon:

-It came into the country prior to 1992 through a private import station.
-N = New York Animal Import Center (point of entry: JFK International Airport)
-E = Importer's facility
-B114 = Bird's individual ID code
-Leg band info is only kept on file for up to 4 years.
-The only info these leg bands provide is the year the bird was imported into the US, therefore there is no record of ownership.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can not understand why he would have a band come with him but not actually on him nor cut off him. I have my birds band because I asked for it back when I had it removed and had him chipped. The only thing I can think is it fell off when he was a baby and they were too late to put it back on?

@tka do you know why the band would be with the paperwork and not on the bird?

Nikki73

I can not understand why he would have a band come with him but not actually on him nor cut off him. I have my birds band because I asked for it back when I had it removed and had him chipped. The only thing I can think is it fell off when he was a baby and they were too late to put it back on?

@tka do you know why the band would be with the paperwork and not on the bird?
I thought that was strange also. The band itself would not fit around one of his toes now, so I doubt it was ever on him.

Nikki73

Unfortunately I think this is all i'll be able to tell you about your Blue-fronted Amazon:

-It came into the country prior to 1992 through a private import station.
-N = New York Animal Import Center (point of entry: JFK International Airport)
-E = Importer's facility
-B114 = Bird's individual ID code
-Leg band info is only kept on file for up to 4 years.
-The only info these leg bands provide is the year the bird was imported into the US, therefore there is no record of ownership.
I was able to get some information from a vet who said they know that no amazons entered the US after 1989, this means my girl is at least 31 years old. I have sent a email to the USDA in New York, though I am not sure I addressed the right person.
I feel so bad right now, I know wild caught birds were not treated very well, she must have been so scared. All I can do now is treat her good and take care of her. I hope we have her around for awhile, she is a pretty awsome bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I thought that was strange also. The band itself would not fit around one of his toes now, so I doubt it was ever on him.
Yeah I did think it looked too small but I wasn't sure as things can often be deceiving in photos. What a weird situation.