• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leg band/ID for Budgies?

Tobushka

Moving in
Real Name
Doris
Hi everyone, I'm traveling with my two budgies from MO to WA later this year. I've got the air flight and health certificate figured out, but there is an additional requirement by the Washington state which says that upon entry, "All birds must be individually identified with a numbered leg band or in a manner appropriate to the species."

One of my budgies has a leg band when I got her but the other budgie doesn't have one. My vet does not agree with leg bands and will not provide service on putting on a leg band, which I totally understand. However, my vet also says that budgies are too small for microchips and now I'm kind of left with this option to purchase a temporary leg band and put it on my budgie myself in order to cross the Washington border....Just wondering if anyone has similar experience or advice on putting leg bands onto a budgie yourself? My budgie is not very used to hands so this will be difficult. If you happen to know another way to ID a budgie other than leg bands and microchips, please please let me know! Many thanks in advance!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keep in mind that if you were to go the route of banding your bird, you would need an open band because your bird is grown.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Bands are usually put on birds when they are young by slipping them over their feet. Not sure how they put bands on adult birds though...

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You´re welcome. A lot of people don´t like open bands and deem them somewhat unsafe. But like OP said,t hey can be taken off once the journey is complete :)

Tobushka

Moving in
Real Name
Doris
Keep in mind that if you were to go the route of banding your bird, you would need an open band because your bird is grown.
Thanks for the note! Do you have any recommendations on where to get the open bands?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
L&M Leg Bands is the cheapest that I know of: welcome . The only problem is that no one sells just one band since they have to be machine made. With shipping it might cost you $20-25.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I use to band my adults with closed bands i used oil to slip them on i also used english size bands I no longer band as theres no need to even with an open band your bird may open it and it could fall off, or you could buy a split band and just bring it with saying your vet took it off instead of putting one on

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Have you contacted anyone in Washington? Either a vet or some state or agricultural official person?

I don't know if anything could be done but might help speaking with someone from the state for ideas?

Tobushka

Moving in
Real Name
Doris
L&M Leg Bands is the cheapest that I know of: welcome . The only problem is that no one sells just one band since they have to be machine made. With shipping it might cost you $20-25.
Thanks, this is very helpful! I'm definitely going to give them a call tomorrow!

Would something like this work just to get you into the state? They might sell small sizes?

Happy Hen Treats EZ Chicken Leg Bands, 24 count, Medium - Chewy.com
Yes, I think I need something like this but with numbers on it. Thanks for helping out :heart:

Have you contacted anyone in Washington? Either a vet or some state or agricultural official person?

I don't know if anything could be done but might help speaking with someone from the state for ideas?
Yes, I called the Washington state department of agriculture and the officer told me to put leg bands on the bird:( She said the number on the leg band must match the number on the health certificate... I wonder if I could just take headshot photos of my birds and stamp them to the health certificate or just do what @Budgiebonkers suggested