• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leaving the flock for vacation

Totallybatty

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mary Earhart Unger
Has anyone had experience boarding birds? Just wondering what to do if I travel outside the US. My Gray goes with me on most road trips, I also have a Goffins, a conure, a budgie and a cockatiel. Maybe pay a pet sitter? Most are only experienced with dogs and cats...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I called some one that can help you find a bird sitter. also call your vet clinic and ask them if they have tech that would be willing to come in a couple times a days and check on your flock.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Has anyone had experience boarding birds? Just wondering what to do if I travel outside the US. My Gray goes with me on most road trips, I also have a Goffins, a conure, a budgie and a cockatiel. Maybe pay a pet sitter? Most are only experienced with dogs and cats...
I have someone come to my home. It's less stressful on the birds in my humble opinion. I have detailed care instructions and the name and contact info for the vet.

I know a friend who has someone STAY in her home during vacations.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What would you do with your 5 children if you wanted to go on vacation without them? Same exact situation. You need to hire someone who can be trusted and has real experience looking after birds. They either need to stay in your home or come at least twice a day and spend time with them. Not just fill the food bowls and leave.

To board a bird you're looking at anywhere from $20 to $30 per bird per day. So your looking at around $150 per day for 5 birds to board them out. For that kind of money you can pay someone to do it right.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Believe it or not, I found a pet sitter on Care.com. Before that I had tried using friends, but I always felt like I was imposing, and actually wasn't 100% comfortable leaving my tiel with them. Much to my surprise, not only did I have about 15 people apply to be my tiel's pet sitter but 3-4 were really good candidates. The one I selected was fantastic- and had coincidentally even been a vet tech for my vet. You can ask for references, etc. I had her come a number of times before we actually went away so she and my tiel could get to know each other. (He loved her.) And it ended up being a great arrangement for us.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I agree with everyone here. I only have a cockatiel and I board her but the people who I board her with are like family to me but for so many birds, it will get very expensive and it may be better to get someone to come to your home.

jojomom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
mandy
It depends on how long. If im only gonna be gone a few days then my sister comes over every morning and night. She stays for a while so everyone gets out and about and plenty of attention. If we are going to be gone more than a week we pack everybody up with all their toys and cages and they go to grandmas house. Its a huge pain mainly cause of all their stuff. Thats why we have only gone away for vacation a couple of times. Once I took the kids on vacation and left hubby at home with the pets!

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
We have a local parrot supply shop that is family run and the owner will board birds at her home. She only charged $7 per day for the Conure's, and a few bucks for the Parakeet. (We only had three birds at the time.) Call your vet and see if they have any recommendations.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
What would you do with your 5 children if you wanted to go on vacation without them? Same exact situation.
I totally disagree!!! If I had 5 kids and wanted to go away on Vacation I would simply pawn them off on the ex, my ex in-laws.... or perhaps even the first person I came across at the supermarket or homeless shelter!!! These are precious birds we are talking about.... totally different, they are much more important and require specialized care!!!

LOL kidding, KIDDING!!!

JLcribber is correct.... You need someone who can do it right, who preferably has some EXPERIENCE with birds and who will LISTEN to your safety rules. Like Don't bring your DOG, don't open windows.... etc. I have a friend who will stay at my house, who is experienced with my birds and totally understands my rules. The birds love him... but they love almost everyone.

Make sure whoever you get knows all your vet info and knows where the carrier is... God forbid its needed. Make certain your vet has you CC info on hand just in case. Accidents happen...