• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leaving on vacation with my bird

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
Hello :) I have a 5 week old sun conure and I live with my family. My living situation is complicated and I am being forced to go on a vacation with them. I am hand feeding my bird at the moment. I don’t have anyone who can bird sit for me and I really don’t feel comfortable leaving him with anyone. My boyfriend will be baby sitting my lovebird but he works and is a college student and won’t have time to hand feed my Conure. I just want to know if it is safe to take him with me to a cabin in Lake Arrowhead for 2 days (he will be 6 weeks by then). He is in a heated tank with a thermostat so he will definitely be warm. But I am worried about the elevation. Can the elevation affect him? (Please do not comment on my living situation or suggest that I simply don’t go, I do not have a choice.) Thank you

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't recommend taking him.

Do you have a friend or anyone else you trust, who is somewhat smart and would be able to keep the little one warm and fed?

They would just have to maintain brooder temp and humidity, and feed formula on a small teaspoon. You could show them how to make formula and leave the package instructions.

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
I don’t have anyone who will take him :( Could anything bad happen to him if I take him with me? I would be bringing his brooder and everything he needs. Lake Arrowhead is an hour and a half away from me. I won’t even be leaving him alone, I would be in the cabin with him the whole time. I’m new to my area and don’t have friends here. The only family I have are my grandparents and aunt and uncle who will be going on the trip. My boyfriend is already taking my lovebird for those 2 days but he really can’t take care of my baby Conure :(

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Are you under 18yrs old? Although it is a bird, it is a baby you are raising.

You really need to stay home and care for your bird.

You took on the responsibilty when you brought it home. Just like children, parrots are not something that can be put on the back burner because life gets in the way. When raising any baby, the baby's health always comes first.

Re-evaluate if this is something you will be able to handle long term. You and the care of this bird is in its most infant stage. Its only going to get harder, and most people dont have any clue how to take care of birds properly, so handing them off just wont work in the long term and I think this could quickly escalate into the worst case kind of scenarios.

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Are there any bird sitters in your area? I’d find a reputable sitter that will follow step by step instructions on how to do the basics (feeding, watering, playing with) and more.

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
Are you under 18yrs old? Although it is a bird, it is a baby you are raising.

You really need to stay home and care for your bird.

You took on the responsibilty when you brought it home. Just like children, parrots are not something that can be put on the back burner because life gets in the way. When raising any baby, the baby's health always comes first.

Re-evaluate if this is something you will be able to handle long term. You and the care of this bird is in its most infant stage. Its only going to get harder, and most people dont have any clue how to take care of birds properly, so handing them off just wont work in the long term and I think this could quickly escalate into the worst case kind of scenarios.
I am 22 years old and I provide the utmost care for my birds. I have never ever handed them off because I don’t trust anyone to care for them, especially my baby. I don’t even allow anyone to touch or hold them. Caring for a baby bird is difficult and it’s not something just anyone can do, which I am absolutely aware of. I am home all day every day with both my birds. I’m a full time student online and I work from home because I have a physical disability. I am not even choosing to go on this trip with my family. If I don’t go, they are threatening to lock up my things and throw me out. I have been raising this baby perfectly, he is healthy and absolutely happy. However, this threat just arose as of yesterday when I said I can’t leave my birds. I would not take on a fragile baby if I knew I was uncapable of caring for it. My major is in wildlife biology and I am extremely passionate about animals. I treat my birds like humans, not like they are just objects that can be carelessly tossed around from place to place.

Last edited:

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
I have a couple ideas, look on Facebook and see if there is any kind of group of people in your area that have parrots that might be able to watch the bird and feed him. You could also look into local vets or Avian rescues in your area that you might be able to board him and that could also give feedings. Not sure if any of that would work for you but I think it’s worth investigating. IMO, my first choice would be to board him with an avian vet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Call your AV and speak with them about helping you find an appropriate person to care for the bird while you’re gone. The AV may have a staff member who will be willing to do it for the short time you’re away.
How will you keep the brooder at the appropriate temp while you’re travelling? Taking it and setting it up there at the cabin is one thing but the trip to the cabin is a different matter.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
It's too bad things have gotten complicated. I agree that one of the biggest problems will be keeping him warm during the trip both ways.
Can you locate a good vet in the area you are travelling to, just in case?
I wanted to talk about your original question about the elevation. I don't think it should bother him. I looked it up and it is just under a mile elevation at about 5100 ft.
I live at 7500 ft. It did not bother my birds moving here from sea level and I have gotten birds from rescues at about 1000ft and brought them home without problems.
Never done it with such a young one. His body might not be ready for flying yet so I am uncertain about his respiratory development at that age.

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
just a suggestion on how to maintain temp while Traveling - camping instant heat packs. Not sure how many you would need or if would work for the temp you need.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :sadhug2:

I agree with others, try to get your avian vet or one nearby to take him in and care for him until you get back.

Wishing you luck!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
just a suggestion on how to maintain temp while Traveling - camping instant heat packs. Not sure how many you would need or if would work for the temp you need.
Are these a specific temperature or can they be maintained at a certain temperature? (Sorry, not familiar with them so I’m curious about them now lol )

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu