• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leaving conure for two weeks? I've been reading some forums

V0bies

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Victoria
I'm leaving on vacation for about two weeks in January, I have had my conure for almost a year and he is bonded to both my boyfriend and I, we live together. I got him from a friend who had him for about six months, she was good to him but didn't have time for him so he spent a lot of time in his cage in another room. Since I got him I leave his cage open and he comes out and sits on top whenever he wants, even when no one is home. I have a small apartment and no other animals to worry about and been doing this since the day I got him. He loves us and is always flying to sit with us, I'm really worried that when we leave for two weeks he'll be upset and think another person has abandoned him. I'll have someone be coming over every other day to refill his food and change his water and spend some time with him, and as usual he'll be able to sit on top of his cage and climb around it like he always does, but in anyones experience has leaving a bird for this long left lasting effects? If I set up a camera and face time with him do you think he'll recognize this as me? Does that make me insane though as well lol! I know this question has been asked before but in the ones I've read most people leave their birds in their cage and are only gone a few days. Thanks for any advice.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Welcome Victoria!

I have had no issues with leaving my birds in their cages for a couple weeks however, I will say that my birds are all housed in pairs and that they are used to being in their cages for most of the day.

I have their lights on timers when I am home so the schedule continues when I am not home. I do feel strongly that they should be checked on every day and water should be changed daily and food needs to be checked to make sure it is not soiled or dumped becoming inaccessible to the bird. I would hesitate to leave him loose in a apartment alone. If you must leave him out then I think having him in one room which has been thoroughly bird proofed would be much better.

I thought about facetime, I like the idea but have never personally tried it

V0bies

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Victoria
Thanks for the reply, you don't notice any behavior issues when you return? I realize it could be different because you have a pair. We live in a tiny apartment and our bedroom door is always closed, we also have hardly any furniture there's nothing for him to get into and he's never been interesting in going anywhere other than on top of his cage. He's been like that for almost a year so I feel comfortable leaving him like that, but now that you mention it a timer for the lights is something I need to do because the winter days are so short where I live. Once the lights go off he's like a rocket shooting up into his little hanging bed lol. I'll have to try the face time if no one else here has and let you know how it works. I honestly just started worrying so much about this today and I'm posting this on my lunch break because I feel very guilty, but I'd feel also very guilty telling my boyfriend no to Disney World. My biggest concern is just that he'll be very mad at me when I return.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Personally I have not had issues with birds who are well socialized and bonded to me. But as I say my birds are used to entertaining themselves. In all the years that I have had birds I have never been one to have them out all day getting constant attention.

I think that birds are adaptable but they are also individuals so you never know. Like I said I do think they need checking on at least once a day.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
He may be a little mad at you for a while cause birds definitely hold grudges but he will get over it.

I believe he would recognize you if you Facetimed with him. Sometimes I show my bird a pic of me on my phone and I can tell you he definitely recognizes it....and gives the screen a kiss too:)