• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Learning more about my umbrella cockatoo

Cockatoooo

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Alison
Hello,
Yesterday i adopted a 1-2 year old umbrella cockatoo and i am very anxious about his health as i have been seeing him before i adopted him for a month and we have made somewhat of a bond together.
When i bought hik home he satarted sneezing after preening but nothing came out with the sneeze he was very active last night and when i put hime back in his cage to sleep i kept one light open for him next day i woke uo to check on him he was awake before me and i slept for 8 hours, i took him out and he played a little then got tired and started dozing off.
Am i being too anxious??? Or are this symptoms of him becoming sick and if they are not what are symptoms i should look out for and what causes him to become sick.
I am a forst time cockatoo owner.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello and Welcome!

I don't have any cockatoos, but I'll tag some people who do. Congratulations on your new feathered companion!
@JLcribber @cassiesdad

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue...and congrats on your new addition! What is his name? We must also welcome him properly to the Avenue,also! ;)
You've accepted a great challenge...and it IS a challenge. Sit down and buckle in.
Nothing in what you said sounds unusual..it's what you'd. expect in the situation. Birds are complicated creatures.
Since birds are prey, they hide weakness...if weakness is shown, they are culled out...immediately.
So,they hide weakness...at all times. It makes it very hard to tell when a bird is sick...even to a person who has had birds in their lives for years.
So, we must be ever vigilant with them...looking for the even most subtle of indications of problems.
So, no, you are not being too anxious, you are being a responsible person! Stay the course...look every day for those subtle signs...if you spot ANYTHING you think looks "funny" ,don't hesitate...get a hold of someone,quick...your AV,hopefully. We're always here to help.
So, you're on the right track...keep on going! We're always here to help you and your bird...always.
I look forward to hearing so much more about your U2, and your experiences with him. We love pictures...and yes...what' his name?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When i bought hik home he satarted sneezing after preening but nothing came out with the sneeze he was very active last night and when i put hime back in his cage to sleep i kept one light open for him next day i woke uo to check on him he was awake before me and i slept for 8 hours, i took him out and he played a little then got tired and started dozing off.
All perfectly normal behaviour. He does not need a light at night. Hard to sleep with the light on for anyone. They do best with about 12 hours of sleep in a dark quiet place.

Am i being too anxious??? Or are this symptoms of him becoming sick and if they are not what are symptoms i should look out for and what causes him to become sick.
Yes you are being a little paranoid IMO.

Right now your bird is a juvenile. He will remain this way and be rather easy to look after until about the age of 5-7 years old. At that point this bird is going to become an adult and it's going to change. Hormones are going to start to dictate the bird's behaviour. How you handle things from now until then is going to make a lot of difference. Don't be your birds overbearing cuddle buddy. Be its teacher/mentor. Give this a read. Absorb it and apply its principles.

Cockatoooo

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Alison
Welcome to the Avenue...and congrats on your new addition! What is his name? We must also welcome him properly to the Avenue,also! ;)
You've accepted a great challenge...and it IS a challenge. Sit down and buckle in.
Nothing in what you said sounds unusual..it's what you'd. expect in the situation. Birds are complicated creatures.
Since birds are prey, they hide weakness...if weakness is shown, they are culled out...immediately.
So,they hide weakness...at all times. It makes it very hard to tell when a bird is sick...even to a person who has had birds in their lives for years.
So, we must be ever vigilant with them...looking for the even most subtle of indications of problems.
So, no, you are not being too anxious, you are being a responsible person! Stay the course...look every day for those subtle signs...if you spot ANYTHING you think looks "funny" ,don't hesitate...get a hold of someone,quick...your AV,hopefully. We're always here to help.
So, you're on the right track...keep on going! We're always here to help you and your bird...always.
I look forward to hearing so much more about your U2, and your experiences with him. We love pictures...and yes...what' his name?
Hello
His name is cookie because it is his favourite word to say and here is a picture of him.
And i just wanted to ask do you know any recipes of vegetables and fruits for umbrella cockato because i dont know what to feed him and what not to feed him.

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Cookie!

Fresh is best...always. As. for recipes...no need for complicated things...again,easy is the way to go with a young bird.
Chopped colorful veggies are a good place to start...not fancy ones,either! Chopped up into smaller pieces is best. Experiment...Cookie will be your best guide here.
Expect a lot of trial and error here...he will definitely decide what he likes...and doesn't. Don' t fall into the trap of only giving him his favorite things,because that's all he'll eat.
Colorful veggies are Milton's favorite veggies.
As for fruits...introduce them into the diet slowly...as they are less important in his diet.
Look on AA to Feathered Food Court...I think it's called. Great insights there...and. don't be afraid to ask questions there. As you've found,we' re here to help