• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leaf's training journal!

Snickerdoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Evelyn
3rd October 2020- Leaf has been progressing in leaps and bounds when it comes to his training, but today was particularly good. First off, we addressed that pesky biting habit of his. Lovebirds will be lovebirds, but I'm hoping training will have some effect. Second, he now takes treats from my hand with no hesitation and even approaches my fingers looking for treats! I tried to progress from that to target training but he got a little wary of the target stick after training with it for a few minutes so I left it there for now. Last but not least, he stepped up onto my fingers! Only for a moment to reach a treat, but one small step for man and all that. I'm so proud of all his progress, especially considering he's not hand reared and has only been here for a week! I'm going to use this thread as a kind of diary to keep y'all updated on his training journey. Feel free to give me training tips and tricks, I have much to learn.
IMG_20201003_171813.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It sounds as if you are off to a great start!

Snickerdoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Evelyn
4th October 2020- Leaf made a lot of progress in the stepping up department today. Using a copious amount of sunflower seeds and positive reinforcement, he now fully steps up onto my hand without biting and even climbs up from my hand to my shoulder when he feels like it. I got him out of his cage and put him back into his cage via stepping up. Hopefully he'll start stepping up without treats at some point, but for now I'm happy to provide all the treats for the smart little baby.

anurim

Strolling the yard
4th October 2020- Leaf made a lot of progress in the stepping up department today. Using a copious amount of sunflower seeds and positive reinforcement, he now fully steps up onto my hand without biting and even climbs up from my hand to my shoulder when he feels like it. I got him out of his cage and put him back into his cage via stepping up. Hopefully he'll start stepping up without treats at some point, but for now I'm happy to provide all the treats for the smart little baby.
Yesss!! Love seeing progress! Good luck training your little buddy ;)

Snickerdoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Evelyn
10th October 2020- Today wasn't going to be a training day, but Leaf just decided that it was time to take things up a notch :D I was on my phone next to him and he flew over and perched on it! I decided to take that opportunity and start on some rudimentary recall. He picked it up so much faster than I thought he would, and he now flies over from my computer onto my hand when I say 'come here'! He's also started going back into his cage on his own at random parts of the day, when I used to have to lure him in with videos of lovebirds :lol: Overall I'm really happy with his progress so far! He's still very beaky but otherwise he's a clever little sweetie.