• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Lead Poison!

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Haven't read all but let me say from my experience, Bailey came home a little weak but gained full balance on his return from a 4 day stay at Blue Pearl where he was treated! He gain weight and after a couple of weeks I would let him fly for short periods. Same on his second visit when he had a relapse! The second was not really near as bad but I was on top of it! It does seem strange to me his recovery is not a little faster. Bailey had round the clock subcutaneous fluids and chealation injections for 4 days in hospital returning with several meds for 6 weeks! Just wanted to give you an idea of what the Dr did in Baileys case! Best of luck to you both!

Ms. Jingles

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrea
No metal clip used, I have the plastic holder w/crossover clamp. Not sure but I'm guessing the original fish came from contaminated sea water. It was a larger cuttlebone. Larger/older fish....or possibly the bone passed through contaminated situation from sea to fish monger to bird supplier from what sea/country of origin??? Odd that only the thinner hard part tested positive & soft part didn't...picture above. He had not even gnawed it 1/3 the way down from the top...maybe a little more than 1/4 but again it was larger than most.
I just want to know how long it will take to get through this, to figure out if he will survive & hopefully have quality of life & giant happy personality back. I'm so afraid. So miss having my BUDDY cling to my shoulder & give me kisses and opinions.
Started D-pen' again last night...still no blood test results!

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So sorry for your sick baby and you! I went threw hell and back but it was worth it! It sounds like your giving him the best care and love! Find him a stainless steel bell to cheer him up! I read all your post and I can't think of anything to add! I think all of us on this forum are sending our prayers!

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm sending positive thoughts your way! Yes he is going to make it! :dance4: :hug8: :dance5: :dancing:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
prayers for your feathered buddy

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks. I guess I need to do another X-Ray and that would give me some piece of mind if all paints chips are out of the gizzard. So stressful for Bailey. I need to look at dates to see how long ago it's been since the last one was done! He seems fine but just knowing he had some left in his little body scares me! The Dr said it would take a long time for all of them to be flushed out! She is retired now and she was the best. Always in the back of my mind is what's left in his gizzard! X-Ray wouldn't show paint chips if lead wasn't present . That's the way the Dr explained it to me. She said chealation treatment is suppose to take care of the lead poison. Why they still show up in the gizzard and seem to not affect Bailey confused me! Maybe because so few left! Also more blood work needed I guess to make sure no liver damage! She said not to worry just give it time to flush out! That's easier said that done! Thinking of you and best of luck!