• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Lead Poison!

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Bailey had a relapse so keep an eye out. I had thought everything was over and weeks later he had to be taken back. It takes a long time for all the paint to pass his gut! Anyway good luck. Bailey had three X-rays and the last show some paint flakes still there. Next visit for just an annual I will have him checked again. You never really get over this. If Bailey even looks funny I still panic. He is in a Stainless Steel cage now and no cheap bells left on any toy. Bailey was in such a state I thought for sure he wouldn't make it. He stayed days at Blue Pearl the first time and again a few weeks later! It was hell for me and continued for months! The worst is the damage it did to his sweet and trusting personality! I gained his trust back but it took some time. My husband on the other hand has never gained his trust back! He runs from my husband which to this day is very sad in deed! He use to love my husband! As good as he is with me he is not the same bird I started with. I love him dearly but would love to have the Bailey I had before! I have been spending a lot more time with him lately and he is getting better! These guys must really have a memory! They are smarter than you think! I had to give him meds and he hated it! Unfortunately I had to towel him after a couple of weeks! At first I could just put the meds in his beak but I guess enough is enough and it went down hill from there! Meds had a terrible taste! Good luck to you! Hope you find my post listed above! Have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Ms. Jingles

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrea
OMG, I'm so sorry.
:(
Did you pursue the store and/or mfr?
I still can't let Mr. J out to be about since he is still weak, I don't want to clip either, but I have started taking him to hold & pet for a minute. He's actually letting me and stepping eagerly, where as before it was only on his terms
Since I adopted him @ about 4 yrs old, he never liked to be handled but loved to cuddle, bump & preen me...and take my tears away when I'm upset.
I had to remove all toys with metal (bells) even though they came from a store that my vet even buys from.
What bell toys have you found from where???

Sending Bailey giant hugs & hopes XXXOOO

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
You can get stainless steel bells and other jingley toys at Avian Stainless. They are one of our vendors here on AA.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I did contact Mom & Pop store. I felt like they should have at least refunded or ofter to refund cost of cage $365.00. NOT! They gave me the distributor's name and I contacted them and he gave me the owner of HQ email address in China! All this took weeks and weeks of me pursuing them! I was some kinda upset, hysterical might be a better word! Bottom line is no one did any thing. I had all letter's from the Doctor and pictures of there cage! THEY DON'T CARE! If I could have sued them (China) I would have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My cost on medical about 3,800.00 without meds!!!! I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO DIE! I WAS UP ALL NIGHT FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS! I love Bailey and so glad I reacted so quickly on a Sunday! I had the best Avian Vet in Florida that I had met threw the local bird rescue that AGREED TO come in on a Sunday!! One hour away. I drove like a maniac! If I had not met this woman before Bailey got sick he would be dead! NOT ONE AVIAN VET TO BE HAD ANY WHERE NEAR ME ON A SUNDAY. MY REGULAR AVIAN VET UNAVAILABLE! I NEVER THOUGHT THIS COULD HAPPEN!
All the bells in all my birds cages are Stainless Steel. I bought them from a bird show and very expensive hand made! You can buy them cheaper and I think for the small birds just fine! The one's I purchased are just a heavier quality and the ringer is really secured better. After my experience I don't take any chances! I have a guy who makes stainless steel toys for me to restring wood on, I also buy stainless steel chain to string wood on. My o- rings are also stainless! I do buy toys made mainly with rope and on occasion a metal running threw the middle of the toy but just take the bell off! Bailey chewed the white paint off his HQ Cage. That was the only thing in his cage that could have done it at that time. Bailey was about 7 months old. I still have to bring him in for blood work and x-ray just to make sure no permanent damage and paint chips are all out! I did do follow ups for a couple of months after second relapse and all was good except all paint chips had not been flushed out! Dr said it could take some time. Its so stressful for Bailey and its hard for me because I just relive the nightmare! Good luck to you! Stay in touch and let us know how it goes! The doctor said she has treated over one thousand cases in her career so it is nothing new!

Ms. Jingles

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrea
:heart: Thankfully, another good day, up to 45g, gained 2g since last Friday. REALLY wants out! Limited time outside the cage on my shoulder, kisses & bumps :) Trying to not let him get too excited, can't afford a physical trauma, still not @ top strength...I think he's frustrated with that. Eat babe eat!

BeakFace...send me a pic of Bailey!

Ms. Jingles

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrea
Things still aren't right, waiting for blood test taken this past Tuesday. He has had a couple little seizures. I thought his cuttlebone hit the trash, found it behind the can & tested it; seems like it might be it but the vet wants to test it professionally. Still not eating much, even treats, hates being cooped up but we can't afford a physical injury on top of this. I hope he recovers from this...miss my bumps & preens from him.
Oy!

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Bailey now almost one year later and I still watch him like a hawk! He hasn't had another relapse since the second one! I am going to take him in for a X Ray to check his gizzard. Last X Ray was done when he had the relapse and it showed Bailey still had some paint chips. It was explained to me that it can take some time for all to be flushed out. I will have one done next Avian check up! I had some really bad news that Dr Teresa Lightfoot has retired from Blue Pearl in Tampa!!! That was a hard blow! Bailey would be dead if it wasn't for her coming in on a Sunday! No joke not one Avian Vet would call back or show up on a Sunday! OMG! Scares me for all my flock! So far lead poisoning has been the only emergency but it does make you think what if? I take all precautions that I can to prevent all things unknown! Good luck to you and hope all continues to get better! Bailey has really come around these last couple of weeks. Being very sweet and starting to trust me again! Actually flew to my husband yesterday for the first time in one year! He was such a loving, trusting bird until this incident! He loved my husband the best but that totally changed! I just remember having to keep him in a small cage. At first I was able to give his meds with no problem but then he had enough so toweling him for all his meds for weeks on end! Bless his heart. So now he runs from my husband when he is in his cage. Doesn't want to step up for anyone except me! I gained his trust over time and I still have to take it slow! HQ cages with lead paint almost killed my baby and certainly ruined what was left of his youth! Bailey was about 7 months of age when this happened! I am so thankful that he made it but its a wake up call for how little time you have to react to any suspicious behavior! Good luck to you and keep us informed!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hope he can pull out of this and get the lead out of his body. Do you think the bells were the source? Many of our birds have bells in their cage. Again, saying prayers that he will pull through. :heart:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry . . . .

Would almond butter do the same thing as peanut butter?

Ms. Jingles

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrea
Yes, almond, peanut butter...neat nick won't have it..too messy for him I guess. I'm Trying everything. Main high lead suspect is his cuttlebone, see above lead test.
All metal, including "Mr. jingles's" bells have been removed:(
Really hoping I have my same little man.
How long should it take to get through this?!
He's still not eating as much as he should...trying so many things...pasta will get him foraging through the rest of his food but still not eating enough.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Brazil nuts are also useful for HMP

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
could you put the nut butter in cooked pasta shells? What he doesn't see - he'll eat?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
could you put the nut butter in cooked pasta shells? What he doesn't see - he'll eat?
More likely what he sees YOU eat, he'll eat!

Put it in YOUR sandwich. Try to eat it in front of him

JP

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Banana was the key for Bailey! Mashed banana with smaller bites of pellet mixed in. Banana rolled in Peanut Butter and some time just mashed all of the above. I also gave him several feeding of formula dailey!! I would just keep trying everything! He now hates banana! He really liked his formula so that made it a little easier! He was only about seven months when this happened and was just weaned so it was easy to go back to formulas. He had dropped 40 grams between Saturday and Sunday when I had taken him in to Blue Pearl. Very dehydrated! Oh does this bring back memories! Again good luck.

Ms. Jingles

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrea
Still waiting for 2nd blood test results... ;(
He's not coming around from his week of oral meds, in that his balance is still off, tonight seemed more out of balance than the last, but eating.

Are we going to get our life together back?
So want my little buddy back to his cocky mischievous self...mark my words on that. Thought it was not a wanted thing, but it is ;)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
I do t understand how cuttlefish bone has lead in it? Or is it from the metal clip that come with the cuttlebone?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hang in there!