• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Laying

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I just went over to Aldora, and fed her some clusters of millet in her corner, and I was thinking, jeez, she's big! She laid an egg the night before last.
IMG_20200617_175214.jpg
She has the dummy egg from the other day there, and a tapas dish with bedding in the other corner with another 2 eggs in. She will do this when I don't give her a box (lay all over the place).
Any way, I was just sitting on my computer and she caught my eye, stood like this;
IMG_20200617_180246.jpg
Is that not terrifying?!
Always gives me a little fright! I gently called her a few times and she stayed frozen. I left her and a minute or two later she's snuggled down on her nest with Jaime feeding her, like the true Queen she is :rolleyes:

Not looking forward to switching that egg!

(also notice she has shredded all the wallpaper behind her cage :angry:)

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
That pic is like "come and touch this egg, make my day!" menacing, of course :roflmao:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Have you ever weighed an egg? I remember I weighed Aoife right before she layed one and she was 58g! That's such a large percentage!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Have you ever weighed an egg?
I recently posted a bunch of weights for Ume who was asking about it. I may put them in a thread so we can all contribute LB egg weights if you want?

That pic is like "come and touch this egg, make my day!" menacing, of course :roflmao:
Yea she is not one to mess with! I will let her rest a good few hours before I switch the eggs.
When she stands like that, my instinct is; bundle her in the carrier and take her to the vet. So hunched over she looks thin, look how promanent her legs are.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
She does have turkey legs in that pic! Does that position make you think she's egg bound?

I was more just mildly curious about the weight, I'm sure the fertilized weigh more than the sterile, though, so when Aoife lays again I'll weigh just for curiosity. I'm pretty surprised she hasn't layed again, not that I don't think she will, but I expected another clutch in the spring. Since I took her sleeping tube away she has nowhere to make a nest, though.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Does that position make you think she's egg bound?
No, because I could see the egg on the cage floor behind her. Just a creepy weird stance. It is right after the egg comes out. Like she is getting her breath/energy back.

I'm sure the fertilized weigh more than the sterile
Really? I wouldn´t think so. Maybe a one thousandth of a gram more... How much does one sperm weigh? And yes, while Aldoras eggs weigh more than my other girls... she is older and has laid a lot more eggs. I also have no reason to believe that Lapis´ eggs are not fertile, yet weigh a lot less than Aldoras.

Since I took her sleeping tube away she has nowhere to make a nest, though.
When the time comes she will lay again, whether there is a good spot or not, she can´t not lay forever. Some have even told stories of their birds laying in their lap etc I´m sure being alone helps keep Aoifes laying at bay :)

I will copy those posts and create a new thread so we can post in it :) Also, I have that egg I took last night to weigh (ps, was NOT easy to get it)
Here´s the link: Lovebird egg weight

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I guess it depends on when the egg is fertilized. I was thinking that when it's layed there's already something of an embryo forming, but not really sure.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
when it's layed there's already something of an embryo forming
incorrect. The embryo only starts to form when the hen broods. But yes all the ¨stuff¨ needed is in there so I will agree there would maybe be a weight difference however it would be miniscule... and as you can see from the large variation in egg weights, we wouldn´t even notice that miniscule weight difference when the overall weights are so spread out.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Right, I just got to that. Birds are so interesting!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I love her pink beak!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Would be interesting to see how a fertilised egg's weight would change as the embryo developers. Any change would be minute or possibly undetectable I would think. I wouldn't want to be the one to take on that task.
I bet it's already been done somewhere on the net, would just like to see more real science happening on the Avenue.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Any change would be minute or possibly undetectable I would think.
Yea I would also think so. Seeing the weights of Aldoras eggs, and the weight of her chicks, the difference would be so small.

IMG_20190101_223219.jpg IMG_20200615_223530.jpg