• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lava rock

Pam slusser

Moving in
Real Name
Pam
I have a macaw that is terrified of getting nails clipped the last time he was clipped he fought so hard he ended up with a broken wing I could have lost him Thank God he pulled through with the help of a good vet but now it's clipping time again and I asked about different things that would clip nails so I bought the perches that are supposed to help but he needs clipped the vet I go to wanted to sedate and I said no so He's still not clipped.It was suggested to me to try a lava rock but I want to check with others on this situation,can anyone help me with this?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd try a Flagstone perch from SeriouslyNutz. I have several and they are a huge help in keeping the nails blunter and to gently trim them. @Macawnutz is the owner and could help you find the perfect one.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know some folks will also try to file the nails with a nail file while they are grabbing onto the cage bars. It can be a slow process but it's not very stressful generally.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you wrap him up like a burrito in a towel you should be able to do his nails without harming him. If not then I suggest a cement perch or swing. My Macaw has this one:
1642717987168.png
I'd suggest the XL size. This site has it: Polly's Roll or Swing - X-Large 2"d x 10"L - UPCO Pet Supplies Note: Depending on how rough your bird is with it you need to check the end screws & tighten them occasionally.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with @April flagsone perches my conures nails are mint thanks to them also great for there beaks cracking perches as well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Even with stones some birds just have nails that grow too long!

You could try using a nail file instead of clippers to slowly wear them down.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Don't be afraid of sedation for your bird. My very sickly GW macaws have been anesthetized both for surgery and for short treatments probably 100 times over the 25 years I had them. there was never any problems and they seemed to feel great once they came out of it.

Your vet will probably give your bird a nasal whiff of anesthesia which will last 15 min or so then when he is ready for the bird to come out of it he will give a reversal agent. Your bird will act like he is drunk for 5 to 10 minutes and it's all over. My Female would lay flat on her back and wave her feet in the air during recovery - can give you lots of laughs.

For her anesthesia was mandatory, because she just wouldn't behave, so she got to go nite-nite. It made the whole thing so much easier on her.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Drugs!!

Use them, they’re a God send. Injectable, inhaled, taken orally- whatever your vet prefers.

In this day and age there is literally zero reason to be against them, because there are so many safe choices that fit every situation.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Female would lay flat on her back and wave her feet in the air during recovery - can give you lots of laughs.
My Scarlet would bicycle on her back too! Always had me snorting! :laughing1: