• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Laura's gone

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
So Laura is our fully flighted hand reared rainbow lorikeet with PBFD. Since she has PBFD she does not live at my house but at her 2nd owner's house called Denisa. Denisa built Laura a MASSIVE outdoor walk-in aviary but she still has a large indoor cage for night time or when its bad weather. Denisa went into the aviary to change Laura's water but as Denisa was closing the door Laura bolted out and flew off. This happened on the 19th of October 2020 so we have been looking for her for days now and we decided that she's gone for good. She was born wild and since she had PBFD her parents pushed her out of the nest when she was only about 2-3 weeks old. Then we found her and hand-reared her. Rainbow lorikeets are native to Australia where we live and there are hundreds of wild rainbow lorikeets where we live and Laura loves to eat wattle, banksia, and bottlebrush and there are lots of that where we live too. So she can find food by herself, her species is native to where we live so she is well adapted to the environment, she is old enough to live on her own, and she is wild at heart. So she has a high chance of surviving in the wild and at least she is happy. She would always try to escape and it is very clear that she wants to be free. We have posted it on parrot alert and looked around for her and called her, and left out her cage with food and water but i don't have too much hope and its been days now...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that Laura flew away. Don't give up on getting her back. Hope she finds her way home.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
So sorry to hear about that. Hopefully she comes home or survives in the wild with her feathered friends. Don’t give up :hug4:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
since she had PBFD her parents pushed her out of the nest when she was only about 2-3 weeks old
I didn't think it was present in wild populations?

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Ignore that apparently it can. Let's hope Laura doesn't infect the Australian bird population
Yes, that is a little concerning. I don't know much about the disease, but hopefully she is not able to transmit it to the wild birds. That could be damaging to the wild populations.

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Unfortunately lorikeets are one of the most affected in the wild here from what I have read and been told.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Sorry