• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Laura Escaped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
Laura, Is Our Female 16-17 Week Old Fully Flighted Rainbow Lorikeet With PBFD. We Found her when she was 3-4 Weeks old as she had fell out of her nest but luckily one of our friends found her and now we are caring for her, and we have hand-reared her and cared before now she is a beautiful playful bird who loves to fly and play. Laura is shared between 3 owners; Me, @ConnieBird , And My Other Friend Denisa. Me and @ConnieBird are both experienced with birds since I have had 5 birds so far in my lifetime and @ConnieBird has had 17 Birds so far in her life time. But Denisa has never had a bird before and is not very experienced with birds but has a very kind heart and is researching and learning and is doing great with Laura. It was her daughter who found Laura so that is why they are involved in her life. Me and @ConnieBird taught Laura to fly and we have recall trained her. Denisa knows that she can fly but one day while Laura was staying at Denisa’s house her husband took her outside but then she flew into a tree! They spent about 2 hours trying to get her down but then she flew somewhere else and then they couldn’t see her! Me and @ConnieBird were planning to go and see Laura on that day so we texted her and said “Do you mind if we still come over and see Laura?” And she replied with “No. Today’s not a good day.” We were confused so we called her on the phone and asked her why today wasn’t a good day and she said “We’ve lost Laura.” And I thought she meant Laura had died when she said that they had lost her but then they told us what happened. Then I was crying and said “Were coming over.” And when we got to Denisa’s house we saw her looking up into the trees and I asked if she could see her and she said that she couldn’t see her. Me and @ConnieBird both started making lorikeet calls trying to get Laura to respond but Laura had a unique call to most of the other lorikeets so if she did reply I would be able to tell if it was her. Denisa’s kids and their friends were there too so there were about 14 people all trying to find her. While I was looking for Laura all the sudden I realised I had no idea where @ConnieBird went so I went and looked for her but I found her crying and saging that Laura was gone forever, I didn’t want to think this but I knew it was possible. Then I started crying too and we were both crying and hugging each other. We finally stopped crying and got back to calling her. But then after about 10 minutes of calling to her we finally heard her! We could hear her, but not see her. So we just kept following the Sound. From where the sound was coming from we worked out what tree she was in but not exactly where in the tree. It was a very tall, large gum tree. But then finally @ConnieBird spotted her! how did we know it was her and not some other random rainbow lorikeet? Well here is why:
1. Since she is very young she is smaller than most lorikeets
2. Due to her PBFD, her tail is only half the length of a normal rainbow lorikeet’s tail
3. She was making her unique call
4. She kept crouching down to fly to us but then looked down at how high she was and became hesitant
@ConnieBird ’s Green Cheeked Conure, Connie, also once went into a very high tree since her wings were clipped @ConnieBird would always take her outside (@ConnieBird is against wing clipping and Connie’s wings were already clipped when she got her so she did not clip it but since her wings were already clipped @ConnieBird thought she might as well make some good use out of it and let her play outdoors) and once Connie jumped into a palm tree and they thought she couldn’t get that high but by the time Connie was getting too high it was too late to get her down and what they did was call an place that rescues birds stuck in trees or high places. So we tried to call them but @ConnieBird forgot the name of the place! so we tried to call a bunch of other local avian rescues but it was a weekend and they all said that they didn’t work on weekends and then we were all really upset. Laura was recall trained for when we rang a little bell she would fly to us but we kept ringing the little bell and she kept crouching down and spreading her wings, preparing to fly but then she looked at how high she was and became hesitant. Then after about 5 hours of ringing the bell and offering her some of her favourite treats she took of trying to fly to us but then she banged into a massive glass window, feathers going everywhere, then she fell backwards into someone’s garden then we went up to the front of the house and rang their doorbell and a elderly woman answered the door and I said “Our pet parrot has fell into your garden” since I had no idea what else to say but then she said we can come in and have a look and led us to her garden then 14 people were barging into some elderly woman’s house in the middle of stage 4 Coronavirus lockdown! She had lots of bushes and trees in her garden so it was hard to see Laura but then I spotted Laura laying down under a chair with a bunch on missing feathers on her head. So I picked up Laura and help her up saying “We’ve got Laura!” and everyone was hugging each other and crying tears of happiness. Then I looked at Laura and she was missing a bunch of feathers and I remembered that when she banged the window she hit her hard very very hard and she probably has a headache. So we took her inside, gave her some food, and put her in her cage and covered it to give her a rest. After this, me and @ConnieBird took Laura back to my house and now Laura has no more headache, is flying amazing, is good with her recall, and is happy, safe, and back to her normal self. Since Laura still loves being outside, we will be harness training her and getting her a aviator harness so she can still go outside but without getting lost and spreading the PBFD virus to the other wild birds! She will also be getting a much, much bigger cage as her current one is way to small and she can’t even spread her wings out fully in it! So she will be getting a new bigger one. So I am glad to say, it is a happy ending and Laura is safe back at home.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
While I am extremely thankful and glad that Laura is now safe, there are so many problems with this saga.

You put an elderly lady at risk during a global pandemic. Could one person not have gone alone into her garden without the entourage?
You share a bird with PBFD between three homes, at least two of which have other birds. PBDF is highly contagious.
And allowing birds outdoors without a cage or harness is unsafe.

I just hope lessons are learned from this.
At the very least, someone needs to take ownership of Laura - just one person/family/home. Being passed around like a pair of borrowed shoes is no way for a parrot to live.

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
W
While I am extremely thankful and glad that Laura is now safe, there are so many problems with this saga.

You put an elderly lady at risk during a global pandemic. Could one person not have gone alone into her garden without the entourage?
You share a bird with PBFD between three homes, at least two of which have other birds. PBDF is highly contagious.

At the very least, someone needs to take ownership of Laura - just one person/family/home. Being passed around like a pair of borrowed shoes is no way for a parrot to live.
we are planning to let her just settle at my house. she is getting a harness and I never agreed with her going outside without one. We were not thinking when we went into that elderly woman’s house all we were thinking about was Laura.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
As happy as I am to read she was eventually found I must say I totally agree with @Zara.

I also do not think you should be making light (nor any excuses) of breaching the stage 4 lockdown rules (5k fine is it not for stage 4 rule breaches?) for numerous reasons.
I honestly also think you need to consider seriously limiting Laura's outings and contacts- she is deadly to so many other healthy birds (all your birds may now be in this category meaning you have twice as much responsibility to keep yours separated from the rest of the birds to stop the deadly spread). I was sent a pic of a guy free flying his healthy macaws in a park in Richmond just yesterday so your little fun outings for Laura (and now your other birds as well as your friends bird) could potentially be harming many more birds than you realise. My vet sees a rainbow lorikeet with PBFD and they are so strict (before corona) about who is there and who handles the bird and where the owners are made to sit and wait..... they are so strict with the contact and cleaning so as not to pass on PBFD to other birds.

I do not mean to sound rude or harsh AmberC but you really should seriously consider making a heap of changes for the safety of your current birds and also for the safety and protection of all the other birds out there who are healthy and may potentially be infected by your birds or even by you having contact with them and possibly carrying the disease on your clothes or shoes. Being the owner of a contagious bird with a deadly disease means you really need to be much more careful and responsible to contain the disease to only your flock. Your friends are now in the same boat as you.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wholeheartedly agree with everything @Zara and @Shezbug said. There is so much irresponsibility and recklessness in this whole story/situation. :( PBFD is extremely dangerous to other birds and should be taken as a serious responsibility- for one person alone, not 3. There should not be other birds exposed to the PBFD-positive bird, and strict decontamination procedures should be in place.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

As happy as I am to read she was eventually found I must say I totally agree with @Zara.

I also do not think you should be making light (nor any excuses) of breaching the stage 4 lockdown rules (5k fine is it not for stage 4 rule breaches?) for numerous reasons.
I honestly also think you need to consider seriously limiting Laura's outings and contacts- she is deadly to so many other healthy birds (all your birds may now be in this category meaning you have twice as much responsibility to keep yours separated from the rest of the birds to stop the deadly spread). I was sent a pic of a guy free flying his healthy macaws in a park in Richmond just yesterday so your little fun outings for Laura (and now your other birds as well as your friends bird) could potentially be harming many more birds than you realise. My vet sees a rainbow lorikeet with PBFD and they are so strict (before corona) about who is there and who handles the bird and where the owners are made to sit and wait..... they are so strict with the contact and cleaning so as not to pass on PBFD to other birds.

I do not mean to sound rude or harsh AmberC but you really should seriously consider making a heap of changes for the safety of your current birds and also for the safety and protection of all the other birds out there who are healthy and may potentially be infected by your birds or even by you having contact with them and possibly carrying the disease on your clothes or shoes. Being the owner of a contagious bird with a deadly disease means you really need to be much more careful and responsible to contain the disease to only your flock. Your friends are now in the same boat as you.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything @Zara and @Shezbug said. There is so much irresponsibility and recklessness in this whole story/situation. :( PBFD is extremely dangerous to other birds and should be taken as a serious responsibility- for one person alone, not 3. There should not be other birds exposed to the PBFD-positive bird, and strict decontamination procedures should be in place.
I agree with these. She should be at one home only. Now, @ConnieBird birds, and any one else that was there that had birds will almost definitely have it. I suggest you toughen up your rules, both between your friends, birds and yourself.

I hate to say this but you are most certainly, along with your two friends, are the o es in the wrong.

I know you know that you should be having tough precautions, and you don't do this as you ignored my private message from nearly a week ago.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you were able to get Laura back. Best to keep her indoors at one place or if you take her outdoors keep her in a carrier or harness train.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad you found Laura, but I agree with the others.

There is no excuse to potentially give COVID to anyone, especially those vulnerable to have a bad outcome, like the elderly. You need to think ahead - how would you feel if she paid for this escapade with her life? How would she & her family/ friends feel? Hopefully it won't come to that, since you were outside.

I'm unfamiliar with this disease, but if it's that bad, sooner or later there'll likely be some significant vet bills. Best to sort out ownership before that happens.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I doubt very much if it will be taken down. The people who posted said only the truth. You were blatantly irresponsible, both in the way you handled sharing the bird's home and the way you risked that older woman's health.

You sound very, very young to me, but that is no excuse when you are taking on the responsibility of living breathing creatures. Take your lumps and live and learn from them.

• Love
Reactions: Ali
Status
Not open for further replies.