• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Latex Paint Around My Bird

NovaConure

Moving in
Real Name
Anna Louise
Hello. This post is regarding my Green Cheeked Conure, Nova. In the next few days I’m going to be painting my bedroom (using Latex paint). Nova’s cage is in a different part of the home, but I’m worried that the fumes (if there are any) could travel. Do you think that I need to have her out of the house entirely and do you have any experience with painting in a home with birds? Thank you .

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I don't know if that paint is safe, but if it isn't then it could easily harm your bird even on the other side of the house. I'm sure someone here could tell you if it's safe, but if it isn't then the bird will have to be completely out of the house until all paint has dried.

Sorry I couldn't help more, Good luck!

NovaConure

Moving in
Real Name
Anna Louise
I don't know if that paint is safe, but if it isn't then it could easily harm your bird even on the other side of the house. I'm sure someone here could tell you if it's safe, but if it isn't then the bird will have to be completely out of the house until all paint has dried.

Sorry I couldn't help more, Good luck!
Thank You :)

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I renovated my bathroom and painted laundry room last year and used both oil and latex paint. I got the voc free paint. I opened windows where they were painting and put a fan blowing out the window. I closed door to painted room and door to kitchen where cheeky was. She came through it with no ill effects

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Voc’s are what you need to be concerned about. VOC free paint is available but there’s also fans that can be used to exhaust/ventilate the room so that fumes leave the painting room and exit the nearest window so they don’t actually enter the rest of home.

NovaConure

Moving in
Real Name
Anna Louise
Voc’s are what you need to be concerned about. VOC free paint is available but there’s also fans that can be used to exhaust/ventilate the room so that fumes leave the painting room and exit the nearest window so they don’t actually enter the rest of home.
Thank you so much for the advice :). The paint that we’re using is “Ultra Low VOC”. With the ventilation that we’re adding in, and the fact that Nova will be kept on the other side of the house for the day, I think we’ll be good. Thank you :).