• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Late bloomer

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My little Eva has been consistently weighing more than Wally. It was just 6 weeks ago that I was wondering if she would ever catch up!! She is 48gs and Wally is 45gs. He’s a bit more of a crazy flyer and more hyperactive than her so that makes sense. And officially his little black beak is gone. They grow up so fast haha:wacky: these pics are from when they first got home in mid June

Attachments

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
So cute! :heart: Babies are adorable;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have they finished weaning?

Any recent pics? :)

I love seeing lovebird babies, but they are cuter once the feathers come out, in that youngster stage (especially those who have the ¨peach¨ coloured face).... And I have to say they are the most magnificent and beautiful once their adult plumage grows in - spectacular :swoon:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hey! It’s so hard to catch them in photos since they are so fast! Will be posting soon! I’m so impressed with their flying! Wally has a funny thing he does…he’s been kicking his feet off my head to gain momentum in his parkour moments. He thinks it’s funny!

Yes, they are fully weaned. They came to me under 3 and 4 weeks old. When Wally was at around 5.5 weeks, he wanted out of his little tank, so little Eva came along for the ride. You had guided me to moving them into the new cage. I had some time off of work and it was important for me to wean them before I went back to work since I’m the main caregiver. It was a bit of a trying but fruitful week. They were in the cage, eating chop on their own, eating pellets within 3 days and by the end of the week, they were comfortable as was I. We are still learning everyday. But they are just the best little babies. Very tolerant of my constant kisses, great flyers, good eaters, receptive to training, and they love both my husband and I. So I’m very happy. The dark beak is gone on Wally. I don’t know why, but it got in my head that he was possibly molting? I’m going to check out his feathers when he comes out today. They have been with me almost 9 weeks, so they are almost 12 and 13 weeks. I thought 3 months is a bit early for molting

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We are still learning everyday.
Me too :)

Sounds like they are growing into great little social birds :bliss:

I don’t know why, but it got in my head that he was possibly molting? I’m going to check out his feathers when he comes out today. They have been with me almost 9 weeks, so they are almost 12 and 13 weeks. I thought 3 months is a bit early for molting
There are a lot of variables. Age, housing conditions, weather, security. It can vary quite a lot bird to bird. You´ll know when it starts as you will have lots of little floofs and the little feathers all over the place.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have done really well with them

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Sounds like they are growing into great little social birds :bliss:
You have done really well with them
They really are the best! I’m lucky to have them and getting two, was the correct choice! It keeps them from being too crazy with one person and they give each other comfort and confidence in learning new things.

Two concerns are when they go through puberty, how that affects their relationship with us and also, if it might lead to fights between them. I hope they can stay bonded forever cus man, that would suck to split up besties. One thing at a time though….haha

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
but they are cuter once the feathers come out, in that youngster stage
Wally’s face is getting darker, almost like a burnt red or a maroon. Eva’s little rosy face gives the illusion of these adorable red brows. I know it’ll brighten up but I’ve seen some of the green peach faces that continue to stay this dark. A while back you said you thought he was a hybrid, any ideas on with what? I’m attaching pictures but they were from almost 3 weeks ago! They had just dried from their bath and were getting sleepy :xflove: he still had a little black beak then. I can’t believe it’s that long that I’ve taken pics. I’m slacking!

Any thoughts on their coloring? Eva’s got the lavender/Smokey gray back instead of the bright blue.

Attachments

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My Wally’s beak has a little imperfection on it. The very tip is a bit flaked, not chipped “off” but you could tell that he damaged it a bit biting stuff. I can’t seem to get a good pic. I know it’s made of keratin and it will regrow but my poor baby’s beak. They love the softer materials like sola, mahogany. I suspect he did that climbing the bars. I guess nothing I can do, and it’s not chipped off, it doesn’t bother him.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I know it’ll brighten up but I’ve seen some of the green peach faces that continue to stay this dark. A while back you said you thought he was a hybrid
I still think he´s a hybrid.

any ideas on with what?
I don´t know. Maybe Personatus or Nigrigenis.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol

I don´t know. Maybe Personatus or Nigrigenis.
Ooh that’s interesting! Is it the dark on the face that makes you think that? I know nothing about the other species. I hope that doesn’t mean he is sterile. His mom is bluish with a white face, I’m guessing that makes his dad a regular peach face and maybe one of them hold that gene?

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I agree looks like other hybrids I've seen throughout the years. Cheeks are never really that dark, light grayish if anything but usually just a light rose oeach.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I know this is THE worst pic haha it’s a screenshot off a moving photo. It’s his mom. I had no idea they were hybrids, the breeder has 2-3 pairs I believe. I hope this doesn’t mean he is sterile

Attachments

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Takes two to make a baby. Without seeing the dad there and a clear picture of the mom there isn't much to go on.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The mum looks peachfaced. Either Turquoise or AquaTurquoise. As Brian said, the pic is low quality to really see.

I hope that doesn’t mean he is sterile
I´d say it´s likely.
When you breed a species from the intermediate group(there are only Roseicollis in that group), and a species from the Personata (eye-ring) group, the offspring are almost always sterile. Can´t say 100% because it´s not that well studied, but until now they have all been infertile. So, Roseicollis x Fischeri hybrids, Roseicollis x Personatus, Roseicollis x Nigrigenis and Roseicollis x Lillianae.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
They are very cute :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry, I was wanting to post you this link earlier Carol but I got distracted. I think you´ll find the links interesting;

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Sorry, I was wanting to post you this link earlier Carol but I got distracted. I think you´ll find the links interesting;
Interesting. Thank you! I wish I knew ahead of time but that’s fine. They are super bonded so that’s all I care about. All I was told was that his dad was normal green and the picture of his mom looked exactly like one of my babies from 20 years ago. They both had a gray face and blue body.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hey! So on Instagram, there is a little green bird that looks just like Wally. Same darker cheeks, everything. I asked him if the little birdie was a hybrid…and he said YES! He is peach faced and fischeri. So I guess that answers that! Had no idea and now wondering if the breeder knew.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I also started to notice his beak getting a tinge of red