• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Last natural willow basket in the world

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
These people grow the willow and make the baskets, I bet if you contacted them you’d manage to get natural willow baskets that are safe!

Katherine Dunbar is making JoJo and Chickie a basket! My vet will be happy because she doesn’t approve of baskets from the hobby stores. I did get some from the link @Hermesbird kindly posted but they were too small for the caiques. They’re untreated though. I’m using them outdoors.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Katherine Dunbar is making JoJo and Chickie a basket! My vet will be happy because she doesn’t approve of baskets from the hobby stores. I did get some from the link @Hermesbird kindly posted but they were too small for the caiques. They’re untreated though. I’m using them outdoors.
So glad you got an awesome result from contacting them. Can’t wait to see it when you get it.
You didn’t order just one did you?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Can’t wait to see the basket!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Omg! I know baskets aren’t cheap but that shipping!! Hopefully the GCCaiques will love it :)
Gc caiques lol. They will. She described the peeling of willow and stuff and she uses unpeeled so is making a light green one so they don’t freak out. Peeled comes from europe

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
JoJo abd Chickie don’t destroy them so just needs washing every month.
Well that’s easy enough. I just dump any of the wicker things I make for Burt in some hot dish liq water and leave for a while, swish, rinse then spray well with F10. Some things I make him die within seconds of him getting them and others he likes to fiddle with and feed instead of break, those are the ones I wash.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
That’s awesome! I’m glad you were still able to find a use for them outside! Can’t wait to see pictures

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep in mind, I haven't yet needed to purchase one. I've found them on Etsy & Ebay. This was pre covid, & they were around 35-45 for a really large smaller than a laundry basket one w/ handle. one where I would put a rubbermaid container inside for Buddy to dukey in. I've also found them used on letgo & mercari. Just a thought.... & If you really need to disinfect the F10 would kill off anything, but like you saroj, I'd prefer new for my floof.

I will add, to anyone reading this that the wicker MUST be undyed & unpainted. Ours I wrap the handle in paper towels & then vet wrap but its tired & Buddy doesn't pick @ the vet wrap, so I'm lucky there.

(((Hugs))) & Happy Mother's Day to everyone! :xflove:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
There is a huge shortage on all of these items. I am almost out of munch balls (Vine balls), vine twists and vine rings. My suppliers say they are on order but have no idea when they will be back in stock. So if your bird loves these items you might want to stock up.

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
Well, shoot. That stinks. Better luck on your next try.

Just be sure to wash any new baskets really well with bird safe soap and white vinegar. Gets off dirt + insecticide residue.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
That’s awesome! I’m glad you were still able to find a use for them outside! Can’t wait to see pictures
I’m going to get a couple more of the dark willow . When I washed it it smelled completely natural. Plus it’s nice and heavy so won’t turn over. It’s meant to be a foraging basket!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The white one looks similar to Buddy's basket. I'm able to fit a large rubbermaid food storage containers in to catch dukey. Wkd great!
What a great idea! :yourock: