• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Last day of free standing seed

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Awhile back I began the slow process of weaning my birds off of seed. I will always have a high grade parakeet seed on hand but pellet conversion had become a must. I want to know what pellets your birds like best aside from tops and roudybush.

Kaytee is a huge no for me.

I'm looking at zupreem, Harrison's, and others. But personally want to hear from others what pellets they for their birds preferred.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I've had good luck with Hagen Tropican and Psittacus.

Awhile back I began the slow process of weaning my birds off of seed. I will always have a high grade parakeet seed on hand but pellet conversion had become a must.
I'm curious if there was a reason?
It's not the norm for a lovebird to have no seed in their diet unless there is some sort of medical problem.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In a perfect world I would feed Hagen Tropican or Harrison's.

However, my bird currently only accepts Zupreem Fruity and Pretty Bird Daily Maintenance.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I have seed for them but its limited to a tablespoon or teaspoon depending on size of bird. I've had problems with seed in the past. My reasons are varied but I am using a vet assist in case of concerns and weighing.

Seed problems include everything from being bad from the start, my dogs chewed up dropped bits, parasites, and picky eating. There is more but these stick out.

For instance Celes only eats the millet pieces. My bird Bright favors Sunflowers.

I have upticked on foraging foods though and included seed in that. I prefer the pellets as my standing food though. It goes in the bowl while they will have to work for seeds. Veggies and fruits are often served whole as kabobs when not reduced to chop. I also push larger seed like proso or canary grass in those.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
So, I purchased Hagens tropican. Amongst all of my pellet purchases this is the second that the birds took to fast. Roudybush has been my main stay pellet for a long time. However, I like the tropican more because of the enjoyment my birds derived from it. I'll likely keep small bags of roudybush and tops on hand, but this will likely be my pellet of Choice from here on out. That and it smells good.