• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Larger birds are babies longer why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
My Mealy Amazon was 7 months old on the 19th and the past two nights he has cried (begged with head bobs) so much the only thing to calm/quiet him down was a comfort feeding. I haven't fed him in months his baby food, but last night I said he's really sounding like he did when he came home and was hungry.

I thought we were long past the baby stage. Normally he cries now and then, rather begs quite a bit. I guess he wanted his yummy mush. I am glad that I froze what leftoever I had and I am probably going to order another bag to put away.

Anyone else care to share their experience with larger fids being babies for so long? :confused:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The larger the bird the longer it takes to wean. My 32 yo GW loves his comfort feedings and reverts to babyhood with wing flipping and everything. My advice is to give him hand feedings whenever he wants them.
ML

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I figured as much. He really is a baby in a big boys body. I am going to order a new bag to keep around for these nights he wants alittle extra lovin :heart:

Tx, ML :hug8:

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My 24 year old zon would beg for formula when I was feeding the baby budgies... Comfort feedings are just that- comfort, that doesn't mean that they're not weaned, or suddenly un-weaned.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Because they stay will their parent's in the wild up to 2+ years of age. And often times they stay with their parents until they are sexually mature and untill they find a mate.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
They also live longer, so it makes sense it also takes longer before they are fully mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.