• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lame horse

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Poor girl. It’s great that you guys have done so much for her. She a lucky horse to have you. I hope she heals very quickly.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so sorry she is not feeling well! I am sending well wishes your way:hug8:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Sending my best wishes to your horse...(I couldn't find her name?)
What a lot for you all to go thru

You know I have always said to my birds that I am glad they don't have teeth for things to go wrong with.
Now I will also tell them I'm glad they don't have hooves!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Her name is mary, but nickname is Crazy Mary. She is wild child

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Well my wild child, has decided to crib every thing that is wood in her reach. Uncle is going to get proper stall material tomorrow. Dr Paula will do her teeth leveling on Monday.

Last edited:

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
Bless her heart. I know she’s bored. I hope she’s still improving!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
She is bored, uncle has tried to set up some things to keep her entertain, but she not having it. She is better about taking her antibiotics, pain/ anti inflammatories. Her supplements can go in her feed as its powdered. The farrier stopped by today to take a look at her ouchie. It's not weeping like it was. And he wanted to check the wires of the lacing. He was satisfied that they are tight enough. One of the feral cats has taken a shine to Mary, comes to visit and sit on the 4×4 posts to wash and be company to her.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
She’s probably enjoying the cats company. I had a cockerel that kept Dex company during his confinement.

Thankfully he was in closed shoes for most of it and I could hang a slow feed hay bag to keep him occupied. Once he went into the standard shoe that had to stop and he was a nightmare. Lol

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Uncle said that he was going get a jolly ball feeder for her to play with. Kinda like our bird friends jolly balls but bigger. Hopefully once she in stall in the middle of the floor, where she can't reach the walls or 2×4's, she'll stop cribbing. I hoping to get up there next week for day.

Last edited:

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
Dex used to play with his jolly ball all the time until he got hurt. Then he ignored it. (Ding bat that he is). He did love the hanging Apple treat though. Lol.

I hope she’ll play with it and stop eating her house. Lol

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Uncle said he got her Favorite green apples and is going make dehydrated apple slices and a molasses/ carrot treats for her. All she needs is splinters in her mouth, jeez. May have to make her some molasses cookies another favorite of hers.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Well she got her new box in the middle of the floor. 30'×40' all metal tubular, with bucket clips and hayfeeder. The mat fits perfectly. Uncle set up 2 box fans for better air circulation. And shelf for Mork the feral cat. She has her jolly ball feeder and likit in molasses flavored. Hopefully she will settle down now. Uncle also got her a bug mask for her face. Mosquitoes are just nasty up there.She's taking her antibiotics, pain/anti inflammatories. Uncle is making cinna/apple in dehydrator.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Well the farrier was there today, he tightened the laces abit. Vet is coming out in morning, hopefully Dr Paula will allow her some time in the round pen. Somebody is eating her head off. She is off antibiotics but still on anti inflammatories for the rest of the week. The crack is clean and dry which is a good thing. She is still taking supplements and will be for awhile.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Just a quick update: Crazy Mary is back with her horsey friends. She is still shoed and will be for at least a year. The epoxy is slowly wearing away the laces were removed mid September and epoxy was filled in. She is still on supplements daily. The farrier has been out every 3weeks working to get her more stable on her feet. Uncle said that she being good about it. But also has tried to stomp him a couple of times.
Dr Paula has gotten her teeth leveled, which seems to have cleared up her running nose too.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Oh crap, she back in the barn again. Darn it, farrier was out yesterday, trimming her Left fore. It was overgrown and she gimpy on it. There is infection and Dr Paula came out. Antibiotics for 3rd time,anti inflammatory again. She's back in the stall for next couple of weeks. She is going crazy cuz she can her pasture mates but can't be with them. They are not happy either.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh dear oh dear. Hoof problems are the worst :( I'm glad you have such a good team to help her! Is there any chance one of her buddies could be moved into a stall close to her to keep her company? Idk what kind of things you've looked into to keep her occupied, but things as simple as giving her her hay loose so she can "forage" a bit better could help keep her occupied. There's also those... lemme get a pic real quick
1574224574532.png
Likit horse toys. Might help keep her occupied? If you search up this subject there's some good ideas - things as simple as a tennis ball hanging by a rope for them to knock around. Maybe a carrot stuck through the middle of it.
1574224683654.png
Maybe even something like this - make her work for her food. Worth trying; so much boredom and frustration could lead to some nasty (and unhealthy) habits :/

Anyway, I wish her a speedy recovery and hopefully no more problems in the future :( Poor girl; she's been let down by people. But I'm glad she has you and your uncle now to take care of her <3

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
She's got all sort occupiers, Dr Paula will be back out tomorrow with her dad & gr'pa both veterinarians. I talked to her tonight, she said that she bringing old school vets, in on this before it turns into something worse. Uncle is going to try rearrange the shed to set up a stall in there. She's in the sheep barn right now. Mork the feral kitty disappeared in late September. He was her comfort kitty while she was on stall rest. Uncle has wi fi trail cam in barn so he can keep a listen over night.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
All of that sounds really great. If the kitty was comforting for her maybe you could look into "borrowing" an animal for a couple weeks? Like a goat. I've heard a lot of stories where goats were good companions to lonely horses.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Uncle will try to lure another feral in. He got about 10 living in and around the farm. That how Mork was take in and neutered, shots and became a barn kitty

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Gads, the two old school vets, Dr Paula and the farrier were out to see Mary today. Hoof scrubbed with iodine scrub and drained off the ouchie. She either stepped on piece of metal or its been there a very long time. Dr Pete (Paula's dad) found it with hand held metal detector. She got a shot for tetanus, antibiotics and xrays . Found something else she has a tattoo in her left ear, a bunch of letters/ numbers very faded.