• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lame horse

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
At the farm, my girl came in lame tonight. Uncle brought her into the barn, to see what was going on. (Lights in the barn)
She got a vertical fracture in the right fore hoof, with possible fracture in the coffin bone. She has had bad hooves since I rescued her. Equine vet has been there already, but it sounds like if will have to be laced, and stall rest for a couple months. She had vertical fracture several years ago, left fore, three months in lacing ,special shoes, pain meds.
Dr. Paula gave her pain meds and anti inflammatory, she locked in the barn for night, big box stall. She isn't happy girl right now. Farrier will be there in the morning. Will see what the farrier says in morning. They will try to get X-ray in the morning too. DARN IT

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
All my best for her to heal :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your horse's injury. Hope she heals quickly.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Uncle said she was calming down the last phone call. She hates being locked in barn while the others are in pasture. Most likely he'll move her back in to his barn tomorrow, set up a round pen for her like the last time. The last time she could allowed into the round pen for gentle exercise. But it a good size fracture this time uncle said at least 2 " long and deep. I'm just hoping that there is no fracture in coffin bone.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your poor mare! What a nasty injury. :(

Hope the farrier visit goes well and she's on the road to recovery ASAP.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How awful, the poor dear. I hope you get some good news after the farrier and xray. Have my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for her :)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok, she is in our barn, farrier &vet will be there at 10am, There is less swelling this morning. She is still limping but not as pronounce. She had some sweet feed and pellets for breakfast. Uncle put together a make shift stall in our barn until he can make a better one. The horses have shed in their pasture, but its not big enough for stall, so she be in barn. He also got her standing in pine shavings to cushion her feet. Poor girl, she is blind in one eye, got sore foot and huge attitude.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
There is no break but bad fracture in the hoof. The vet cleaned it out, there was some blood and pus. The farrier laced it together within reason and shoed her all four, with clips & a bar. She on antibiotics and supplements. 3 months stall rest, and oh goody she needs some dental work done too. Uncle noticed she was really champing her food. She got a spike upper right side that will need leveling. Farrier is going come back out in 2 weeks for recheck. Vet will be back out in 10 days.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Talked to uncle tonight, he clean out her hoof tonight, again. She has a new big box stall made out of assorted gates,2×4, and a cushion mat borrowed from a friend. She got her antibiotics, anti inflammatory and her supplement. She can't be out for six weeks, shoot. She being good but fidgety. Uncle is going into town to get a box fan, in the morning. He'll put up Wi-Fi cam to keep a eye in her.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad she's doing okay and it isn't something worse! Having to keep a horse on stall rest sucks but as long as she heals fast and doesn't mess up her hoof, all the better! :)
Gotta love those giant, klutzy horses.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Sorry you’re having issues. You said hoof fracture with pus. Are you talking about like a quarter crack or a deep sole abcess or both? I’m just curious because you said the farrier put her in a bar shoe and laced her. I don’t see many lacings done any more as patching techniques have come so far. The general cause of quarter cracks is bad alignment of the hoof. Hopefully the farrier used the X-rays to get the proper balance on her.

Do keep an eye of the temperature of her other hooves and checker for pulses in her other pasterns just in case she ends up with contralateral limb laminitis. It’s not uncommon when they aren’t supporting full weight on one foot for them to founder on the opposite foot. That’s what caused the Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro’s death, not his fracture but the founder.

My stallion foundered on his left fore after a long term injury to his right fore but we caught it early and I’m very good with treating laminitis.

Hope she continues to heal! I know stall bound horses are no fun to deal with and pain control meds often cause stomach problems which just adds to the trouble. Do you her have her on ulcer prevention or something to buffer her stomach acid?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I haven't seen it yet but according to uncle the bottom is a pretty wide crack, that's where it laced. The farrier and the equine veterinarian worked together to get her stable on all four feet. She has hoof problems I've had her, jeepers 10years now.
She is rescue from a hoarding situation. She stood in barn, hock deep feces and urine, until I rescued her out of it, along with 3 other horses. She is totally blind in one eye from the ammonia. Her hooves were semi rotten when she came to live at uncle's farm. She was half starved too. It took alot to get her stable and her hooves fixed enough to walk around. She is great horse, good in the pasture with the other 2. They watch out for her as much as she keeps them company.
I trust our farrier and Dr Paula to do the right thing. The bar isn't on her sore foot its on the back left . That hoof has always been cock eyed, short and funky growing. It was the worst of the the four after the hoarding.
She on pain meds, I know that. Uncle said she's fight the antibodies, the vet was there today to check her, and make up liquid antibiotics so she'll take them with out a fight. Hopefully they made it green apple flavored, nothing she like better then a crisp green apple.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
Bless her! That poor baby. It’s so awesome that you rescued her and that you guys are taking such good care to f her.

It’s good that the farrier has been able to get her squared away and sounds like the vet is being very attentive.

I really hope the best for her!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Our vet is a 3rd generation vet for our family, her dad was our vet, her grandpa was my grand-dad's vet. Dr Paula's grand pa still come with her on calls, he's in his 90's. He isn't as spry as he once was, but comes with to keep him busy. Her dad is still a vet but sold her the business and moved to Montana. He used to bring Paula with him when we were much younger. The farrier grew up with us too.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
That is so awesome!

We only have one vet that still sees horses here. He is always on call poor man. He is very good but I worry when he retires. Yikes! It’s hard to find a good farrier here too. But lately more of them are available.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Yay she swallowed her antibiotics without a fuss. Same with her anti inflammatory/ pain meds. Uncle said he add more pine chips under her. She is standing better more evenly. No drainage tonight, looks better.
He will order another big bale of pine shavings in the morning.
I hate when he moves them to that pasture, cuz she gets hurt. But the pasture they are normally in is dried out chewed down. The other one is stony and not good JMHO.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
Glad she is taking her meds well. Sending lots of good thoughts your way!

For when she returns to the pasture, has the vet discussed the best options for shoeing for her? I generally keep my horses barefoot but when Dex has his injury he had to have therapeutic shoeing for a year. At first he was in a Morrison roller with equipak infused with copper on his injured foot. I love that stuff because it keeps thrush at bay.

My DH made him a custom orthotic for his foundered foot. It abcessed and took forever to drain because it was so deep. I thought we were going to have to resect the hoof but thankfully the orthotic worked as designed.

Afterwards I used glue ons which were very successful as the bar flexed enough as the feet grew. And depending on which pasture I have him in, I have to alternate shod vs barefoot because I can’t let him get bruised.

There are some great shoeing options for horses with problem feet now. I hate fighting bad feet! And am very sorry you’re having to go through this!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
That will be discussed after she feeling better. Four years ago, after her left fore cracked, she was shoed for 18 months until the crack healed enough. Then she had boot, but that was huge disaster , she was more fretting about that dang boot. She hated stupid thing, so we went to glued on. She was ok with that but was only for couple of months.
She was barefoot with epoxy on left fore until this happened. Like I said that 2nd pasture is stony with sandstone and some granite. Anyhow, it has heal a bunch before we can do anything and she will remain shoed until then.