• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lame foot & Droopy wing

pumpkinpie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sera
I have a lovebird and his name is jellybean, jelly for short. He’s about 2 years old.

So before I ask my question, I want to say that I have taken him to the vet already and they’re trying to treat him. I’m here to ask if anyone has had the same experience or would have any idea about what’s wrong with jelly. The vets are working hard but they don’t know what’s wrong with him and it could be a bunch of things.

Jellybean has a cage and is bonded with a budgie. ( my budgies’ mate flew away, so when we got jelly she attached herself to him and their inseparable since )

the cage is generally open and they fly around ( when I say around I mean literally to the top of the tv or the window sill where they both chill lol ) they don’t really explore anywhere else

So the story starts when a few weeks ago I found jelly with his left foot curled up. He was still using his leg as a whole, lifting it up ect.

I took him to the vet immediately, and they did an x ray of his full body. At first, the vet thought of two things: broke/fractured foot, or a tumour.
There was no indication of either (at least from the X-ray in terms of swelling to show any signed of a tumour or a broken/fractured foot)

there was minor swelling on his knee and we were given medication for it, and the swelling went down almost immediately. I personally think the swelling was probably because he was using his knee instead of his clamped up foot, hence causing pressure and swelling.

the vet was concerned that if he stops using his foot then it can ‘freeze’ up and then he might attack his own foot bc he won’t recognise it as his own. (This hasn’t happened yet so far)

so the vet wrapped up his Leg and
foot (to open up his toes and un- clamp them)
So she made his foot open and flat and we were sent home.

She also prescribed 0.02 mls of Gabapentin

Jelly was still able to clamp up his foot. so at this point we’re at home with jelly’s clamped up foot and it wasn’t long before he tore through the bandage - so we removed the bandage, since it wasn’t doing it’s job, and we made our own version. This didn’t last long because again - he ripped it apart

we take him to the vet once more and they re bandage him, this time with a collar.

gosh I cried so much he looked miserable. He kept flipping and rolling and tried so hard to get the collar off himself. He even just ran into the corner and sat there. He looked so depressed. My heart couldn’t take it

But anyway

The collar didn’t work - turns out jellybean is a flexible little boy and STILL managed to rip his bandage.

so we removed the collar since the collar wasn’t doing it’s job either. I thought : no point putting him through the stress of a collar if the collar isn’t doing it’s job .

BIG MISTAKE
I thought with my heart not my brain.

Note: he is still eating drinking etc.
so we call up the vet again, fearing of the whole foot freeze thing, and they tell us to come back for a blood test and a better collar.

The morning I was to take him to the vet, I gave his medicine, the Gabapentin, and then I realised blood. A bunch of blood underneath his feather On top of his wind.

he self harmed. I Panicked and have him to my sister and ran to find cornstarch, there was none, so I grabbed a bunch of flour to clot the blood. I guess it worked because the vet said he wasn’t bleeding anymore by the time we took him.

he had ripped himself, down to his muscle.

they decided they were going to keep him there overnight And also stitch him up.

But they didn’t end up stitching him because it turned out that he clotted really well and was healing fast.

They did the blood test. They found no sign of cancer or anything, but what they did find was an infection. We were prescribed antibiotics. they were hoping the foot clamping is from the infection but we finished his antibiotics and it’s still clamped up. )

They also put on a better collar (which he absolutely despises but it’s for his own good)

and the vet wrapped his foot up completely and around his body too.

is it going to hurt jelly when they remove the bandagesIt’s all over his tummy feathers and everything
and guess what? The bandage didn’t work AGAIN. He still managed to clamp up his toes.

the vet said he’s a cheeky one. No matter what we do he finds a way to rip his bandage or clamp his foot.

This was last week. We’re due to take him to the vet this coming Saturday. I’ll put some photos in order of events

any clue on what’s wrong with his leg?

He must’ve been so damn stressed and upset With all the vet visits for him to hurt himself that bad.

It’s been such a LONG ride and I bet he’s so tired. ALOT has happened.

Right now his new collar seems to be putting him off balance so he can’t walk without dragging his beak on the floor and he sleeps wobbly

so he sleeps in a blanket next to my bed. He seems to really like it because it supports his whole body. He’s so frustrated bc he tries to preen but he can’t :(

the vet said that he’s a really healthy little lovebird in allllllll other aspects. What’s wrong with his left foot ???? Why is his left Wing slightly droopy? He was still able to fly.

pumpkinpie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sera
Here are the photos.

update, it’s night time here and he’s sleeping, but he was moving in the blanket so I check, and he was attacking his bandage with his eyes closed. He’s literally dreaming of ripping it off.
Also when I lay him inside the blanket he usually burrows into the blanket, but tonight he’s lifting up his bandaged foot and I’m worried he’s in pain. He’s never lifted it up before.
I just bunched up part of the blanket and tucked it under his left foot to help him lift it and maybe support. He seems comfy so far.

Attachments

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi there, how has jelly been since then? Not sure why there isn’t anyone replying to this thread.

My late lovebird have the same issue. I found her with one of her leg lame, when to the vet and we suspect tumor. Turnout there’s a tumor growing behind her back(I could see it visually) and it was cancerous so she passed away awhile back...

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could be nerve damage or like @ashley0910 said, a tumor causing the little one nerve issues and/or pain. Once a lovie starts mutilating, it’s a very rough road. I hope your baby is doing better, but I’m troubled by the date of this thread and the fact that you never updated it again. :(

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Unfortunately I can't give any help here but hoping for the best for your little guy :sadhug2: Poor thing :(

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Poor lil guy. Has there been improvement? Any update?

Almost sounds like a stroke if birds have strokes or pinched nerves. A mass could cause but good thing none were detected. Really hope Jellybean is doing all right & things got better.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The op hasn’t been on in a few months.
I hope that no news is good news.