• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lafeber Macaw Premium Daily Diet Pellets "Recall"

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
From Lafeber

Two customers have contacted us due to mold being in their Macaw Premium Daily Diet Pellets with a best before date of 12-11-20. Even though we’ve received only two cases, we are taking this seriously, as it never should have happened. We are shocked, and we sincerely apologize. We are conducting a full investigation to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

On December 11, 2019, the day those pellets were made, electrical work was being done in a separate part of the building, closed off from the pellet area. It is possible that an electrical surge due to the electrical work caused a dryer fan to stop near the end of the pellet run. At this time, this is speculation, but it would explain how the moisture was higher, which can allow mold to happen, in a small portion of the pellet batch. An alarm will be placed on the fan, which will sound if the fan loses power, to protect this from happening again.

We would like to offer replacements of Macaw Pellets to anyone who has a best before date 12-11-20. The pellets were only placed into 5lb tubs and 25lb boxes. The best before date can be found on the lid of the tub or on the side of 25lb boxes. Please contact us for a replacement via direct message on Facebook, email at customerservice@lafeber.com, or phone at 800-842-6445. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us as well.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
So nice that you posted and it is even nicer that they wrote this in such detail and their solutions to what may have caused it.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also wanted to mention that I reached out to them and they responded back immediately. I don't use their packaging (round tub) to store their pellets, so I didn't know the batch/expiration on my purchase. They looked up my order and were able to tell me that my purchase was not from that batch. :heart: Lafebers

Years ago, when we were all concerned about foods from China, I sent a letter to Lafeber's and received a very detailed reply back from none other than Dr. Lafeber. It's impressive how serious and dedicated they are about their business, their customers and their love for all parrots.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They are also very generous. I asked for a sample of their pellets for the quakers and they sent me a whole tub. I participated (but didn't win) a contest for their Rat Nutriberries and they still sent me a 3 lb bag!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
They had the issue with pellet berries in the tubs.

Maybe a packaging change in the future.

Thank you for posting this. I only have the parrot tub in stock.