• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lafaber Senior nutirberies ?

scott199

Walking the driveway
Hi All

any thoughts on these, do any of you use them ?

im in the Uk so its not something we can get over here, well not without buying direct from lafeber or US.

Just wanted options on them and if they are worth getting hold of (also anyone that can or knows how to get them in/to uk cheap ?)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, they are very good for them with milk thistle and extra omega I think. I'm debating on adding them to everyone's diet versus putting milk thistle on all the nutriberries.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I use them for my senior birds. As mentioned by @webchirp they have supplements aimed specifically for older birds. They were recommended to me years ago by someone who is very knowledgeable on bird nutrition.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Senior Nutriberries are chock-full of good things for them. I gave them to my previous bird, Chirp, and I also gave them to Jade when she had a heart arrhythmia.

scott199

Walking the driveway
yeah ive read up on them and i cant see a downside, mine has harrisons pellets but also has the odd avicake or nutriberrie as a treat in the evening, i can only see it being a good thing if i give these instead.

two minor issues.
1. could i get him to eat them.
2. and a big one, i cant buy them in the Uk, so i need to source a solution to that problem.........any ideas anyone ?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
yeah ive read up on them and i cant see a downside, mine has harrisons pellets but also has the odd avicake or nutriberrie as a treat in the evening, i can only see it being a good thing if i give these instead.

two minor issues.
1. could i get him to eat them.
2. and a big one, i cant buy them in the Uk, so i need to source a solution to that problem.........any ideas anyone ?
I've never had a problem with a bird liking nutriberries. Although I have to crumble them for my tiels. Can you get them though Amazon? Although i recently went to order some and they were back order. But I think it ships to the UK?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I offer them from time to time with all of my birds ages 11, 13 and 22.

Cannot hurt them, I use them for the added benefits of the herbs and milk thistle especially my Amazons being prone to AFLD (fatty liver disease) and my Cockatoo that did years ago have elevated liver enzymes while in rescue. She's the oldest, so natural supplemental additions once in awhile is what I use them for.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It took a long time, but lefeber sent a sample for Monaco to try. They might send you a sample if you ask... I think I emailed and described monaco's picky eating habits, requested a sample, and they sent senior since she's in her 20s.

scott199

Walking the driveway
I've never had a problem with a bird liking nutriberries. Although I have to crumble them for my tiels. Can you get them though Amazon? Although i recently went to order some and they were back order. But I think it ships to the UK?
I have found them be on amazon but they want £40+£7.99 postage for a small bag, that’s just silly money.

It took a long time, but lefeber sent a sample for Monaco to try. They might send you a sample if you ask... I think I emailed and described monaco's picky eating habits, requested a sample, and they sent senior since she's in her 20s.
I have emailed and asked about it, our local parrot place says they’ve tried to order direct from Lafeber but they will only deal with the UK importers and then they say they will has only order the best sellers.

seems strange that company like Lafeber will limit their sales like that, I went on their site and was shocked at the choices, over here we have avicakes, then 3/4 different nutriberries I think, maybe slightly more.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have found them be on amazon but they want £40+£7.99 postage for a small bag, that’s just silly money.

I have emailed and asked about it, our local parrot place says they’ve tried to order direct from Lafeber but they will only deal with the UK importers and then they say they will has only order the best sellers.

seems strange that company like Lafeber will limit their sales like that, I went on their site and was shocked at the choices, over here we have avicakes, then 3/4 different nutriberries I think, maybe slightly more.
That is really expensive.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I use senior nutriberries as a treat/supplement for Secret now.

My zons didn't go crazy over some of the flavors but took to the senior version quickly.

I don't recall price they charge in US. I'll look at the bag tonight.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Senior NB do cost alittle more then the other varieties FYI on a cost entity. Actually all NB have had price increases over the last 2 years.

I follow the Lafeber prices on most that I carry.

scott199

Walking the driveway
Senior NB do cost alittle more then the other varieties FYI on a cost entity. Actually all NB have had price increases over the last 2 years.

I follow the Lafeber prices on most that I carry.
that you carry ? do you have a shop/store ?

scott199

Walking the driveway
So for anyone watching this thread, i have some replies from the Uk importer and Lafaber.

lafeber say:
"unfortunately due to EU regulations on ingredients imports, there are a limited number of Lafaber products availble in Europe"

uk importer says
"Please be advised that we are unable to get the Senior Nutri-berries.

As an American based company, Lafeber have to reformulate any of their products to retail them in the European Market. As a result, they only spend the time and cost involved to reformulate any products that they are certain there is a large call for.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience."

Does make you wonder what (if anything" won't go through EU regs ?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
So for anyone watching this thread, i have some replies from the Uk importer and Lafaber.

lafeber say:
"unfortunately due to EU regulations on ingredients imports, there are a limited number of Lafaber products availble in Europe"

uk importer says
"Please be advised that we are unable to get the Senior Nutri-berries.

As an American based company, Lafeber have to reformulate any of their products to retail them in the European Market. As a result, they only spend the time and cost involved to reformulate any products that they are certain there is a large call for.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience."

Does make you wonder what (if anything" won't go through EU regs ?
Doesn't EU take issue with our corn and soy? Eventually no one will be able to produce a non gmo or Monsanto ag commodity. I wonder if it's not the absence of expressly non gmo ingredients?

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Doesn't EU take issue with our corn and soy? Eventually no one will be able to produce a non gmo or Monsanto ag commodity. I wonder if it's not the absence of expressly non gmo ingredients?
Nope... Lafebar claims nutriberries are gmo- free.. We have almost every other kind here in the EU.
The problem lies in the addition of glucosamine and chondroitin that are listed as active ingridients.
All importers (even if it is in a bird food) must get a special permit at the agency for safety of drugs.
(i.e. i cannot simply order glucosamine from the US, it would be confiscated at customs.)

@scott199 maybe we could pressure the importer to get the permit ;)

scott199

Walking the driveway
not sure to be honest.

i do notice all there lafeber pages state non-GMO, whereas none of this is mentioned in any UK sellers.

Also some of the UK sites have this in the description on the El paso variety "EC Permitted Antioxidants, Colourants and Preservatives."

scott199

Walking the driveway
Nope... Lafebar claims nutriberries are gmo- free.. We have almost every other kind here in the EU.
The problem lies in the addition of glucosamine and chondroitin that are listed as active ingridients.
All importers (even if it is in a bird food) must get a special permit at the agency for safety of drugs.
(i.e. i cannot simply order glucosamine from the US, it would be confiscated at customs.)

@scott199 maybe we could pressure the importer to get the permit ;)
well the Uk importer is Northern parrots according to Lafaber

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
that you carry ? do you have a shop/store ?
I do, I am just not sure what the cost to send to you would be. Probably not worth it honestly. Are you looking for supplements as in milk thistle?

If so, Morning Bird may be carried by the place you can buy from.