• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lada vet visit!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So Lada went to the vet the other day. I guess its time to officially call her adopted as I had all her past records transferred to my name. I finally learned her hatch date and some other great information! Anyways though, she was due at the vet for her feather picking and a potential weight problem (Apparently not a problem according to vet 350 - 370g). Here is a cute short video of her in her small travel carrier in the waiting room. (I use this smaller carrier only for short car trips as its so light. She has a much larger home away from home carrier for longer trips.)

Anyways, she got an essentially clean bill of health from the doc. Nothing to report from blood or poo. I'll be honest though, not saying I wish Lada was sick, no no not saying that AT ALL, but I did somewhat wish that we would at least see something telling from the blood or poo samples that might explain her weight and feather situation. Unfortunately nothing. Seems entirely behavior related. I am changing up her routine a bit, changing her diet a tad, adding more sunlight, and we have put her for the time being (at the vets recommendation) on Haloperidol. I'm not 100% convinced that this is going to fix anything though. The vet was not very reassuring. Obviously I am no vet nor would I ever claim to be (that also goes for bird expert), but I think I may do some of my own research and I may get a second opinion. For the time being though I am taking the vets advice and have started her medication. Will see if she improves with time. Obviously will need to give it some time to see a change if any.

My biggest remaining concern (which I need to ask vet again) is lack of new feather growth. She is not aggressively picking her feathers (otherwise she would be bald by now). She is also not picking her down feathers. Only the primary feathers. The weirdest thing is, there is no new feather growth. No pin feathers at all. We have already eliminated her diet as the problem. She has a GREAT diet of all types of fresh food and proper pellets. I'm not going to dive into that again unless someone is adamant about discussing it further. See some of my other health related posts first.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Eclectus really need a special diet & lack of it could affect the skin/feather or anything.

What is haldo...sounds like a antidepressant???

Well glad nothing seems wrong so try to tweak the diet.

I have the same Kings carrier & its not really heavy but put a bird in it with a towel over it & walk a few blocks between connection of 3 buses in 90 degrees & I am seriously aching esp in the arms!

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I admittedly don't know her history but if she's been plucking for a while, she may just have follicle damage and not grow new feathers.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
We think we caught it early. She has only picked once really and its only been a few months. So I cant imagine she has already done damage. As for diet, yes I am aware of different needs for Eckies.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haldol is an antipsychotic but it's often used to treat compulsions, including feather picking in birds. I think it's reasonable to try. My plucker did the best on gabapentin, so that may be something to ask about if this med is overly sedating or doesn't work. You would not use both meds at the same time.

As far as lack of regrowth, is it possible that she's plucking pins? Or could she have only barbered her feathers, so that the roots are still in? If that's the case, they won't regrow until she molts.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah we thought about that too. Last few weeks I have tried checking the seed tray for signs of pin feathers, but have never been able to find any. It doesn't look like she has chopped them off either. It has got to be one of two things, either she is having nutritional problems that the vet didn't detect and that is preventing new feather growth, or she really has damaged them to the point they wont grow back. I find the latter so hard to believe though. That seems to only happen in more extreme and longer duration cases. This is the first time for her. Tomorrow I'll take her in the shower. Always really easy to see her chest skin up close when she is soaked. I'll get a close up picture. Probably good for the vet(s) to see as well.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My plucker used to pluck her pins when they were SUPER tiny and fling them. It was really hard to catch her -- in fact for a while I feared she had PBFD because she was just getting balder and balder, but eventually I did see her doing it and figured it out. That would be my guess but obviously I'm biased by my experience.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks for the med tips. I hope she gets better soon. I think the next thing I am gonna do is stuff her cage with balsa type wood (if its safe). She really only likes to chew on yucca wood. I cant get her to consistently chew on anything else, but I cant find an inexpensive source for yucca so I'm kinda stuck... All I can find are those $20 Yucca stalk homes that are meant to be hollowed out by smaller birds for nests. She loves those and will tear one to pieces in minutes, but not sure my wallet will be able to keep up with her spirit providing those nest type commercial products. I need to find some other type of soft wood that is cheap that she can tear up. ie I want to distract her more from picking. Also, when I say soft... pine is still too hard for her. She rarely chews those toys. It's going to have to be super soft. Suggestions? She doesn't really like cardboard either unless its a box that she is trying to nest in. She does seem to do a fair bit of cardboard shredding, but never just pieces I hang in cage or make into toys for her. Again, only in nest box. That's one of the biggest behaviors we are working on changing right now. Nesting behaviors.

Last edited:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Balsa is fine, I use it a lot with my tiels.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Definitely do your own research. A vet is just a human and may not know everything (do any of us).

Here is an article by Dr. Jenkins, who has done a lot of good work on plucking and particularly on the use of Haldol for controlling it.
Feather picking and self-mutilation in psittacine birds | Jeffrey Jenkins - Academia.edu

Dr. Jenkins has been involved with this sanctuary for years and has had some success there.
Feather Destructive Behavior - an effective treatment - The Chloe Sanctuary for Parrots and Cockatoos

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats scary meds!

Use of Haldol for pluckers -opinions? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I was on it in 1997 for a few months & weaned myself off it wo Drs orders. Its bad when the drug is worse than the disease. Was OK for 10 years no meds but I had a relapse in 2008 & had to be hospitalized.

I think maybe if a bird was tearing into its flesh it could help save there life but not sure how much good life they would have on it...

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Different individuals tolerate drugs differently. I would not assume that this bird will have the same negative experience you did.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
From what I have read in the quoted referenced thread alone seems that I am not the only one who thinks this drug needs to be given with caution. Many people have negative reactions with it & I'd certainly hesitate to use it for a unknown mild plucker.

Still its not my bird but imho I'd say be careful!

I'm not a pyschatrist or health practitioner who is licensed to prescribe RX so I don't want to endlessly argue the point & will remove myself from this thread.

Just giving my personal experience & a little research that seems to agree that the drug should be used with care.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haldol is a drug with a lot of stigma and fear around it, and I think a good number of the reactions in the linked thread are related to that alone. It's definitely a drug that needs to be used as directed and with care. But it's also a very good drug when used as intended in the right situations.

I'll also add that I think even mild plucking needs to be taken really seriously, because if it escalates it can have deadly complications and it's much harder to address then. But I definitely would encourage everyone to do their own cost/benefit analysis with the help of their vet.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
It is definitely an expensive drug! I am a little worried only because the vet was using it as a bit of a fall back. He says he has had really positive and consistent results with it though, so I am still trusting his judgement. He did warn me about some mood side effects. Said she might get a little more goofy (Which might be good for Lada haha... Shes a stuffed animal normally). She could also become less active which is funny because how do you less active than not active? I'm serious when I say shes a stuffed animal lol. She doesnt make any noises and pretty much her entire life just happily sits perfectly still most of the day. If she becomes any more calm she may collapse in on herself hahaha.

I told the vet that she is super quiet and he didnt believe me. He figured she would at least make some sounds while squirming a bit while they took some blood. She didn't make a single peep except for some almost silent huffs and puffs while squirming during the blood draw. He was shocked! She is such a good bird :)

Trust me, she is not mute either ;)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations on adopting her...

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard