• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lada vet visit!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on adopting Lada. You should check out Nekton Bio. I've had success using that with a plucker.

Reactions: lyx

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on adopting her!

Balsa is safe and very soft - Leia can tear chunks off it and she's smaller than Lada, so it might not last you very long!

Reactions: lyx

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Have you checked out @WallyLoopey ’s toys? She uses lots of different types of wood. I have pine and sassafras if you’d like a toy made from those.

I’m glad you are finally admitting Lada owns you. :) The rest of us knew it a long time ago.

Sorry you’re having issues. It is hard to get a stuffed animal to move around, and to distract her from plucking. Poor baby.

I am not familiar with that med but I am working my way off gabapentin ... it is taking a LONG, incredibly long time. Should be below the effective dose but it’s still awful, Ugh. I feel sorry for birds being put on/taken off and perhaps not weaned off.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Sola is really soft, I think it's the softest wood in the world (might be wrong about that though). And you can get it through somewhere like CABN for not that much. Even my budgie will nibble at it and he'll hardly touch anything!

lyx

Sprinting down the street
Congrats on finally adopting Lada! :D I hope she feels better soon with her feather picking! I have no advice about that, but my budgies LOVE balsa and it doesn't take them long to shred it to bits lol so I'm sure Lada will definitely love it!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Aww thank you everyone, but now I'm a bit upset with myself. I leaked the news without thinking about it. I should have posted a big happy "I FINALLY OFFICIALLY ADOPTED LADA" post lol. Going to to that now... Making it official official

Papu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Papu
Haldol is a drug with a lot of stigma and fear around it, and I think a good number of the reactions in the linked thread are related to that alone. It's definitely a drug that needs to be used as directed and with care. But it's also a very good drug when used as intended in the right situations.

I'll also add that I think even mild plucking needs to be taken really seriously, because if it escalates it can have deadly complications and it's much harder to address then. But I definitely would encourage everyone to do their own cost/benefit analysis with the help of their vet.
I totally agree with you, there’s so much negativity about the drug for Birds, my cockatoo after zinc poisoning, If the drug is administered properly you can have a great success. Like any drug the amount that was given is crucial