• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Laci's sitting on 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
Wow, it's been a while since I've been here. I've got a concern...

My little lovie, Laci has laid four eggs. I know they aren't fertile because she's in the cage alone. She looks so tired and is not eating properly. Does anyone know how long they sit on eggs that will never hatch? And how do I entice her to eat a little more rather than to just sit on the eggs all day? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
25 days or so hopefully she will abandon them sooner.....if she has been sitting longer than that get her off them...candle them..hold a candle up to the egg see if you can see black moving inside...if not, they are duds/...also provide her with extra calci rich foods like broccoli and kale...a cuttlebone or evencalci boost... she should actually be eating a lot....hens normally consume consume consume then go back their eggs..si i would be concerned about that..maybe a vet visit is in order

mask

Walking the driveway
Real Name
mask
You sure she's not just eating less frequently but bigger portions? They tend to visit the food dish less, but still eat a fair amount when they do.

ArloDuncan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Steve
Hi Kathy is this the first time she is laying eggs? When did she lay the last one? Do you think she might have another to still lay? I hope She will be OK Good luck.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
When Gracie cockatiel was broody on eggs, I would put her veggies and bean glop on a paper plate on the floor of her cage so she didn't have to to go far for food. I also moved some pellets and seeds down to the floor when I noticed she liked having the food so close. She would be very intense on the eggs for twenty or so days then lose interest and abandon them. I would start removing the eggs one or two at a time until I was sure she was tired of them, then take the rest out all at once. Then I got her Chip to keep her company during the day and the two of them surprised me with chicks one day; they did not have a brood box but instead laid four eggs into a ring box lid and hatched them. I was so surprised I had to sit down v e r y slowly...

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
Thanks everyone for your responses.
Anne, there wouldn't be movement in the egg if she has no mate... correct? She is in the cage alone. I've got the cuttlebone in there, but she does not use it nearly as much as the other birds.
Mask, no because I don't have to refill the bowl during the day, so I can see that she's not eating much.
Steve, she laid one egg once before but it fell out of her hut and that was it. She laid the last one about a week ago so I'm pretty certain four is it. I still think that's a lot for a single bird!
Lois, yes she is very intense on the eggs. She looks exhausted. She won't eat fresh veggies so I sneak it into birdy bread. The hut that the eggs are in is up high, so she comes down to the bowl to eat. I can tell she does not like to leave the eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.