• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kyliegh the G2 loves my shoulder until I move

Birdy888

Strolling the yard
Real Name
James
I am hoping someone in my situation can help me. Kyliegh loves to be with me and on my shoulders when I am sitting. If I go to get up, no matter how slowly, she flies down or to her cage. In fact the only way she'll let me move her more than a foot or two is if she is standing on her old cage. I have to lug it up and down the stairs to bring her up or down.

I know Kyliegh is grieving and having to get used to me. Since I do not know whether her previous owner allowed her to ride on his shoulder or took her upstairs and down I am going to assume she hasn't for the purpose of training her.

She loves to eat what I eat and I am using that to my advantage as far as coaxing her to eat healthy. Other than that she isn't exactly food motivated. As a result I don't know how to entice her to stay on my shoulder long enough to go up the stairs or down or between rooms without the old cage. The new cage is larger and I am working to get her to go in it.

What is the best way to get her to trust me/my shoulder when I am moving? It would be quite helpful for both of us if she learns this. Thank you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It takes good balance for them to perch on shoulders while we move.
You may be best basically standing still and just getting her used to maybe slow rocking/shuffling from one foot to the other type thing and building up your movements to a walk very slowly. As her balance and muscles develop and her confidence in you grows she may stay longer while you move about.
Many will suggest not to encourage shoulder perching or riding for a couple of reasons like to keep your face safe.
Will she perch on your forearm? If so she might find riding there a bit easier.

Birdy888

Strolling the yard
Real Name
James
I'll try the forearm idea. She tends to want to climb up to my shoulder. Thankfully she hasn't tried to pierce my ear yet lol.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I find Burt loves it when I wear hoodies. Some tops and materials make gripping a bit easier, not that Burt needs it- Burt has no issue with balance or grip but hoodies make his day!
I am not encouraging you to let her shoulder ride, it’s always a risk.
Burt lost shoulder and back riding privileges for a while as he was being a grumpy brat. He’s only just earning them back again now that he’s settled right down with his moods and is being sweet and predictable, but, I am still very cautious even though I know him well.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm going to also advise against shoulder rides, at least until you've known this bird for several years.
I know a Goffin isn't going to do the damage that Burt could do to Chez, but they can still deliver a nasty bite.
I've had mine turn and grab my lip once when her 'love of the year' walked by. (My daughter)
You really don't know Kyliegh well enough yet to know if there will be behavior changes in the future.

I'm all for forearm rides, you can also find a perch, or thick rope, and teach her to travel on it.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Maybe she thinks when someone moves it means she's being put back in her cage?

And if she flies away you could always move to where you intend to go, start messing with something she wants & she might fly back to you to get a closer look. :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I also will encourage the forearm rides. Being on shoulder it to easy to forget that they are with you and you walking out a outdoor door. On your forearm you have use your hand to open the door.
Plus the face and neck have very tender skin that bleeds easy if chomped.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Being on shoulder it to easy to forget that they are with you and you walking out a outdoor door. On your forearm you have use your hand to open the door.
That's a great point! Luv Bug can land on my head & she's there so often it feels normal so I quickly forget she there. More often than I'd like to admit. :shy:
https://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/a-brief-panic-i-lost-luv-bug.218225/

And I've read of at least one member here walking out to her car with one of her birds on her jacket! Thankfully he didn't fly off!

Birdy888

Strolling the yard
Real Name
James
Good points. I will work on getting her to stay on my forearm.

Kyliegh got her first taste of turnip greens this evening. Like every raw vegetable she has tried she shredded it without eating it but considering how precious little she got in the way of veggies before coming here; I think she's doing quite well. Tomorrow we get to go shopping in earnest. I am going to make chop tomorrow. It helps so much that she wants to eat what I eat.

It is truly amazing that Kyliegh is doing as well as she is considering her previous living conditions. I saw the house she was living in since I was the one who took her from the place she likely spent the last 35 years so I know it was bad.

I am scared to find out what issues she has on one hand but now is the time to find out so that Kyliegh can get treated before it's too late. I'll have to research pet insurance. Hopefully true avian vets are covered.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If she doesn't like one hand or arm, try the other one. Puffin's approved side changes regularly, but she prefers my right hand/arm/ shoulder more often and will refuse to step up on the other side (until further notice). :rolleyes:

Birdy888

Strolling the yard
Real Name
James
Kyliegh definitely prefers my right side (at least for now). I will start training her to stay on my forearm.