• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kush my cockatiel

Mcgovern

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jayne mcgovern
So I baught my gorgeous cockatiel Kush from a bus driver so she spent a lot of time on her own I have had her around 8 months now and I'm finding it so hard to taim her I don't think she is scared of me as she will come sit on my head back shoulders and legs and she even likes to come eat a nice salad with me and peas and mash she will even take food from my hands and mouth if I dangle it down she sits with me and sings but even tho she has USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1603140195966_6724057336507796344.jpeg all them brilliant quality's she will still not let me touch her as soon as she sees my hand move towards her she hisses and bites and even runs away I'm so lost and I really don't know what to do anymore she's my best friend I hate that there is still some level of mistrust between us can anyone help please?

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
She might not want you to touch her. Some birds are like that. Also have you taken her to the avian vet lately? Just wondering if there could be something wrong with her. When the time comes she will probably start letting you touch her. Train her, play with her, eat with her do anything that can help build your bond with her.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello1:and Welcome! You have beautiful girl! :xflove:

You didn't say how old she is or how long she spent by herself during the days, so it may take some time for her to get used to a new routine. She may, in time, allow you to scratch her head, but she may not. Patience, time, and keep building that bond!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Jayne! 1.welcome signs.gif

@Khizz

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Welcome! Some birds have a problem with hands. She is beautiful!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Your tiel is very cute.

budgie❤️

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Madilynn
have you done step-up training to get her okay with being on your finger? her being on your finger is a huge step since she would be coming in very close contact with your hand. My bird isn't the biggest fan of being petted because she isn't fully tamed yet, but when she eats millet she doesn't care and will let me pet her. If you haven't already, start step-up training and then see if she will let you pet her while she is eating millet/a treat she loves.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I baught my gorgeous cockatiel Kush from a bus driver so she spent a lot of time on her own I have had her around 8 months now and I'm finding it so hard to taim her I don't think she is scared of me as she will come sit on my head back shoulders and legs and she even likes to come eat a nice salad with me and peas and mash she will even take food from my hands and mouth if I dangle it down she sits with me and sings but even tho she has View attachment 359268 all them brilliant quality's she will still not let me touch her as soon as she sees my hand move towards her she hisses and bites and even runs away I'm so lost and I really don't know what to do anymore she's my best friend I hate that there is still some level of mistrust between us can anyone help please?
:welcome2:

Yeah it sounds like a fear of hands. Some birds can get over it, some never do. Just give her some time, and try not to push it on her. Just slowly get her used to it, maybe play with some of her favourite toys in front of her, leave it calmly in view etc.

If she doesn't get over it, don't worry or take it personally. It sounds like she still loves you...she's adorable!

Mcgovern

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jayne mcgovern
:hello1:and Welcome! You have beautiful girl! :xflove:

You didn't say how old she is or how long she spent by herself during the days, so it may take some time for her to get used to a new routine. She may, in time, allow you to scratch her head, but she may not. Patience, time, and keep building that bond!
I don't know how old she is unfortunately the man I received her off knew nothing about her and he worked 16+ hour shifts so she's never really had anyone but myself I suffer with PTSD so it's rare I go out so I'm with her 24 hours a day most days she seems to get upset even if I go for a shower or to make a cup of tea she will sit and shout u till I come back sometimes getting herself that worked up I have to cover her cage to calm her down