• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kumo's settling in.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
So far, Kumo has been doing quite well. He still hasn't taken treats through the bars but has become more calm around my voice and being near the cage. He no longer dashes away and is quite a curious little thing! Even got him to eat a bit of kale and scrambled egg this morning. I opened his cage doors for a little earlier after changing water/feeding, without the cats/dogs around of course, and after exploring, he flew right onto my arm! Never expected him to be brave so quickly:hehe:. He sure is a cute little thing and I'm sure with time, he'll be even more of a joy to have around. :) So lucky to have this little baby here. I'll see if I can snag some pictures later on. :p

Last edited:

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Congrats! That is great he is settling in so quickly!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
@Yoshi&Reza Thank you! I'm glad too, but I never thought he would be comfortable so quickly :roflmao:. Goes to show, you can never predict what a lovie will do next. Silly little buggers :p

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness, he is adopting you quickly! :) They are indeed bold little creatures! So pleased to hear he's that comfortable already.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
@fluffypoptarts :) Thanks so much! They really are quite bold and seem to just randomly decide to do, instead of contemplating. Earlier, I had a sunflower seed on my hand when he flew out, and I offered it to him. He didn't take it after a minute seeming nervous, so I went to take it away.. Obviously he wasn't a fan of this and jumped right in, grabbing it! Even made a little show of eating it, like "How dare you try to take this away?" :laugh: Such a little personality these little ones are!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol @Sylvi_ -- yes, they are quick to decide things belong to them! :) I bet he was staring you down as he ate that seed with determination and defiance! :hilarious: I know the look well! Their small size just makes it even more hilarious.

I was in line at bird store the other day and some guy was lecturing another woman about how birds must never be allowed on your shoulder or above because they'll think they're dominant. I wanted to say, "Aside from this being silly, what do you mean THINK? Try telling a lovie that he/she isn't dominant!" Made me kind of smirk. Especially since I had the mako eel with me, my most dominant (and dominating) bird!! :p She owns and regulates everything and everyone around her. :laughing6:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
@fluffypoptarts Oh yes, for sure! Eye contact the entire time. For just a little guy, the amount of bossiness and sass can rival a macaw! :p I can imagine how well telling any bird, especially lovies, they can't go on shoulders and heads :rolleyes:. My 'Tiel would riot! That's prime cuddle area. And of course, what would Yuka do without making a nest in my hair? :laugh:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@fluffypoptarts Oh yes, for sure! Eye contact the entire time. For just a little guy, the amount of bossiness and sass can rival a macaw! :p I can imagine how well telling any bird, especially lovies, they can't go on shoulders and heads :rolleyes:. My 'Tiel would riot! That's prime cuddle area. And of course, what would Yuka do without making a nest in my hair? :laugh:
It's why I find them so precious and comical. I just love their spirit. I still laugh when I think of how Snerky walked over to my friend and pinched her finger quite deliberately, staring up at her the whole time! Like she was saying, "Just so you remember, EVERYTHING IS MINE and you're here at MY tolerance." Then, mission completed, she scampered back to me. It was even funnier that we both thought Snerky was going over to her to visit and be a sweet birdy!! :loltears:

Oh yes, heads and shoulders are prime real estate. So long as I'm not being bitten from said lofty perch, I'm fine with letting them sit where they want.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is very cute. It's great that he is comfortable with you already!

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Did you know that Kumo is Japanese for spider? I learned that when I tried to tell the maid there was a tarantula in my room in a Japanese inn...where you sleep on the floor! Oki kumo...big spider! I'll never forget that phrase....:)

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Did you know that Kumo is Japanese for spider? I learned that when I tried to tell the maid there was a tarantula in my room in a Japanese inn...where you sleep on the floor! Oki kumo...big spider! I'll never forget that phrase....:)
Yup, it's a double meaning word in Japanese, "spider" and "cloud." Obviously, I went for cloud :laugh:. The difference is in how it's written. In hiragana, it's the same. But in kanji, it's written differently. I think I'd scream if I saw a tarantula in my room! :D

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:D Gosh, what would we do with multiple lovies? The amount of drama in one place. ;)
Lol!! It would be so weird just seeing/hearing one little Kumo instead of the calls of my swarm! But yes, epic drama with multiple lovies! They're such performers, lol.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
:D Gosh, what would we do with multiple lovies? The amount of drama in one place. ;)
Oh, are we forming a harem? Sherbie approves.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
@fluffypoptarts Add in some conure squawks, 'tiel chirps and we'd have quite a eventful chorus! :D

You should her all the sounds in my house with my mixed flock!! They have each picked up sounds from the other species. We have a budgie that was hatched here on 25 Sep 2015 so she is only 3.5 months old and she make some strange sounds for a budgie! She actually doesn't make budgie sounds at all because she has somehow figured out how to sound like the rest of my flock. It's a weird combo of sounds she makes but I can definitely her the other birds in her which include a GCC, PF lovie, Fischer's lovie, a hahns mini macaw, a parrotlet and 4 other budgies,