• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kuka my B&G, Sad :(

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry Sweetheart,, :sadhug2:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Thank you. One thing I am going to miss so much about her was her yelling at me saying "MAMA" when I was only less than 6 feet away from her or she'd be out in her aviary yelling at the top of her lungs "MAMA". I would tell her to stop, she is driving me crazy with the Mama but now, never again ... makes me so sad. :(

It's not been a good year which is the same for everyone in many different ways but this year for 2020, I lost my little 3 pound Chi Sadie dog at the end of February and at the end of May our other dog Mia a pit bull that was my son's dog and last year lost our son as well.

I will tell you this, we did bring Kuka home and buried her next to our little Sadie dog. Kuka's hole had to be dug larger and deeper than little Sadie's hole, she was certainly so much smaller than Kuka. Sadie ended up loosing both her eyes in her last 6 years of her life. She was truly solely dependent on me 100%.

Here a a few pics.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That is a heartbreaking amount of loss to deal with all so close together. I´m truly sorry.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I'm so sorry. 28 years is a very long time. She clearly had a wonderful life. My thoughts are woth you.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so sorry for all of your losses.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It rips something out of us. I know what you mean Jan about not getting another. Secret is alone here now and while part of me thinks she needs a feathered friend . . . . I don't know if it will ever happen.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Ali

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so sorry. They are never here long enough. :(

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I'm so sorry. 28 years is a very long time. She clearly had a wonderful life. My thoughts are woth you.
Yes, while is seems like a long time, it is really under half of a Macaw's life span considering they can live 50-75 years. Don't know how many make it up to that age in captivity.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I had just went out to her aviary and removed all her toys and then had hard time afterwards.

It rips something out of us. I know what you mean Jan about not getting another. Secret is alone here now and while part of me thinks she needs a feathered friend . . . . I don't know if it will ever happen.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Like Kuka, if the bird has enough attention from their human companion as she did with me, they are just fine with that usually and don't necessarily need another feathered companion.

Well, you know, I am nearly 65 so to get another at this point in my life may not be such a good idea. I can not handle a bird on my hand or arm unless I have my long leather glove on and Kuka was so good about that glove and it was never a problem for her with it. SHe accepted the glove immediately was not even afraid of it. For another bird to be accepting to a leather glove would be highly unlikely. My skin on my hands & arms are so, so, thin. In fact Kuka ripped open my left arm up near the elbow area just about 3 days prior to her death, she did not bite me ... she just sliced the skin as the tip of her beak swiped across my arm as I was bringing in through the door. These are the gloves I bought but I only used the right glove .... All Leather Gauntlet Glove - Made in USA

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They have transfer sticks you can use. MC would step on my arm but Secret is always on a T stick.

You can sit the parrot on your lap (I use a baby blanket on my lap) for one on one time.

Love Birds

Meeting neighbors
We lost our Kuka our Blue & Gold Macaws who just turned 28 years old on Sept. 22nd. She had suddenly went down hill in the last couple of weeks prior and was loosing weight and there was something up with her right wing. Yesterday on Sept 30th, we took her to an avian vet. They sedated her to take an x-ray of her wing. It had a fracture on one of the bones. They were going to wrap her wing against her body I guess. We were hanging around town for 3 hours for them to do things, like blood tests and such but about an hour into our wait the vet called and said she was in the incubator, then vet said 10 minutes later she was unresponsive and that she passed away.

They were going to charge us like $1,012 for everything to be done on her but because she died, they credited us back on the $500 deposit when we first left her there.

We are so upset. We miss her so much.
So sorry. One of my birds died at the vet's two days ago. Like your bird, my English budgie was sedated while they took an x-ray. The avian vet called me and said he did well under the sedation but was having problems breathing when taken off the anesthetic. Then he died. Was not expecting that. I felt so bad. He didn't have any respiratory issues, but I know he didn't take stress well. I'm thinking he was just too stressed out from the exam, nail trim, and then being at the vet's for about four hours. He had to be there for awhile since the vet had to go into surgery for another bird. Well, we both took our birds to the vet, so we were trying to do the right thing.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I am so so sorry to read this. (((HUGS))).