• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kuiper

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:bighug:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I keep re-reading Kuiper’s preliminary report focusing on the moderately dilated intestines with blood and fluid and I’m scaring myself it was PDD/BVD. I keep reassuring myself that the proventriculus was empty and not dilated. All his other organs including brain, liver, kidneys, gizzard, heart, spleen, pancreas, trachea, lungs and air sacs, and esophagus were normal. I need to be patient, I know. I’m just worrying about Jelly and Juju now.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I hope you hear something soon to put you at ease. It's frustrating waiting for test results.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For those who aren't comfortable with autopsy results, you may not want to read this whole post. This was an incredibly detailed and thorough Necropsy with pathology lab work. The hidden part below are the details:

All Avian Influenza A strains were negative. All fecal tests showed no parasites or ova. Histopathology slides were made from sections of brain, air sacs, heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, adrenal gland, testicles, proventriculus, gizzard, pancreas, intestines, and skeletal muscle. Due to the dilated nature of the intestines and the bloody fluid inside, multiple sections of the intestines were examined. Some sections were viable and fresh, and others were in advanced autolysis and necrosis. It was also noted that his testicles were immature and atrophic in appearance with no sperm production. There were no other significant changes.

Basically, the veterinarian who performed the necropsy believes he passed due to intestinal torsion--which is not well-documented in psittacines. No contagion was evident.

My poor little man! In horses, dogs, people, etc., intestinal torsion is very painful. I can't begin to imagine how long he was like this--his whole life, perhaps. My sweet man just seems to not have been assembled quite correctly :(

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww no, how sad . I´ve only just seen this post. I´m very sorry for your loss :(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor little guy.:( If he was in n pain, I’m sure all of your love helped him through. I’m so very sorry, and I’m glad it was nothing contagious.
:sadhug2:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I’m sure all of your love helped him through. I’m so very sorry, and I’m glad it was nothing contagious.
Definitely! He was loved for the rest of his days & your blue boys are safe. :bluhug:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m glad it was nothing contagious too! It just makes me so sad that this poor little bird lived through so much. I just wish I knew how he came to be outside and how long he led such a hard life.

I’m so very grateful for your kind words! I think there was a reason I saw him and decided to adopt him. I’ll miss that beautiful, feisty, sweet boy

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I picked up my sweet boy’s ashes this morning. The place I chose did such a thoughtful and heartwarming job! Kuiper’s ashes are in a beautiful wood box with his name on top. When I arrived they ushered me into a private room so that I could have time alone with him. There was a little candle with his name on it, and so many other beautiful touches. They even have a memorial up on their website with his picture! It was all so sweet and beautifully done. He is now home with me.

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
I picked up my sweet boy’s ashes this morning. The place I chose did such a thoughtful and heartwarming job! Kuiper’s ashes are in a beautiful wood box with his name on top. When I arrived they ushered me into a private room so that I could have time alone with him. There was a little candle with his name on it, and so many other beautiful touches. They even have a memorial up on their website with his picture! It was all so sweet and beautifully done. He is now home with me.
Awesome, I am sorry for your loss. I hope that you feel okay.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
:bluhug:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little lad. It sounds like he had some significant health issues going on, and I don't think you could have done anything about them. At least he got to experience your care and love, even if for such a short time.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
@Kassiani I was wondering about your boys - I missed this thread.
I am so sorry :(
I'm sure giving him a friendly, clean home and some love is just what he needed while he was here.

Little Ogie seems healthy and active but already being 27, I'm not necessarily expecting him to be here long.
Of course I brought him home knowing that from the get-go.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry for your loss, how are your other two budgies taking it? And how long had you had Kuiper? :sadhug2::sorrow::sad3:

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Sorry for your loss of Kuiper, it's from evident reading this thread how much you loved and cared for him. I'm glad the necropsy delivered some degree of closure and piece of mind.