• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Koko

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
We adopted Koko the 30th of November. In two days she decided she really likes my husband to the point of lunging at my daughter and I when we even walk by her. My husband hasn't interacted with her besides giving her a treat once in awhile. I tried to open her door this morning like usual and she threw herself at the door. I back away and waited. Same thing. Thank you for any advice..

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Morning Carol,

Sounds like this is your new BG?
First, if this is in fact Sherri's bird I would contact her and talk her through what has been going on. She has made a life with this bird and would know her best.

Second, It sounds like the honeymoon is over. What is that exactly? Well, ever heard of birds hiding their illness? They also hide their feelings in the beginning. They act calm and subdued to learn their surroundings before feeling comfortable enough to live in their surroundings.

Third, you can obtain years of information about a bird only to have it change in a new home. That once quiet easy going bird of 20 years is now loud and demanding. The bird that never said a word in one home is now chatting up a storm in another. That is extremely common and not a fault of either party.

I would first call Sherri and ask some simple questions. Questions that were probably not thought of. "what was her daily routine like?" Where did she spend her day? Was there music or TV? Did the house have a lot of action or was it quiet? Did you put her cage in an action area or too far from the action?

Even if everything is perfect she is allowed to change and you are to adapt. This could be a simple "time of year" with a bit of extra hormones. When I brought home Cha she decided to go into massive egg laying mode for which she never did in her 18 years of life. OR.. this could be her true feelings that she has chose your husband and you are the third wheel. I'm actually the third wheel with my BG, Korbel.

Life as the third wheel IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. Your sweetie is making a new routine and you need to start RIGHT AWAY on how you are going to handle it. It will make or break you. Korbel is my baby, he does no wrong in my eyes. However, when given the choice between me or my husband he violently hates my guts. :laugh: ( Yes, did all you other members read that? Shocked? I'm not... completely NORMAL ) While everyone is now remembering every video I have with my sweet Korbel on me, being funny and loving... yes, in a few hours he will love my husband and will wage flighted war at me. :rolleyes:

Work/life balance is easy. Bird/life balance... :laughin: I ignore the unwanted behavior. I try to keep those aggressive moments calm and slow. When she lunges at the cage don't be dramatic with her, don't raise your voice. Calmly open the door talking quietly and walk away. Keep the routine you have in place as much as possible but make sure you are keeping yourself and your daughter protected. When she is acting up, don't scold or make eye contact. Just be aware she is watching your every move and wants a reaction. I walk away.

Korbel is my baby, always will be. We have a perfectly sweet loving relationship until we don't. Most days it starts when my husband sits down to watch TV at night. All of a sudden he gets this urge to want my husband and I become the battle ground. If I can do it with a flighted bird I imagine it being easier with a grounded one. While I could go on and on explaining I think having some feedback would help me target an area to start with.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@Macawnutz I'm making a list on my questions for Sherri. I'm sure I was so wrapped up in interacting with Koko I didn't ask the right questions. Thank you!

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@Monaco yes I adopted Koko from Sherri :)

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@Macawnutz Sherri had koko for about a year. Koko was bonded to Sherri. Sherri left the house for a month to see if her lungs would improve so Larry was in charge. It took awhile but Koko started interacting with Larry. Sherri came home and Koko was upset at her for awhile than went back to Sherri being her favorite. When they found out they had to re-home they found a couple that seemed perfect. Once there the husband had all the physical interaction with Koko to the point where his wife couldn't get near Koko. They told Sherri it wasn't working and Sherri told them to bring Koko back. They had her back about 6 weeks than I adopted her. Writing all this out I see how confused Koko must be. So much change in her life. She lived her first 28 or 29 years with the same person. I'll be happy learning to be the 3nd wheel any day. I want her to be happy and to feel safe because she's not going anywhere. I'll do whatever is in her best interest. Notes.. tv on at their house a lot, none at mine. Foods the same. Not a lot of company at sherris or here. Koko woke up when she wanted to. Here we have a bedtime. Didn't at sherris. Koko was out of her house most nights here she needs to go in. It's going better here with that. Koko was on the couch , floor more at sherris than here she's not on the floor or couch at all. Anything else I can remember I'll post. Thank you Carol

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I don't know if it helps, but the days Monaco was so angry I stayed pretty quiet, but did everything I would normally do, and made sure the interactions were just me giving her food and treats. I would definitely give her something really good even if you have to use tongs to drop a treat in her dish...unless you being even that close set's her off. Maybe she can get a treat from your SO any time she tolerates you in the room, then move closer until you can give it to her yourself. Anything to get a positive outcome for you both will help build trust.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@Monaco thank you for your ideas. I've always adopted older parrots and haven't come across this sudden of change.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Monaco thank you for your ideas. I've always adopted older parrots and haven't come across this sudden of change.
Macaws are like WI weather... if you don't like it wait five minutes. :laugh:

You both just need to figure out a happy medium while she sorts out what she is doing. Just try not to treat her different. Keep everything light and happy. If she flips out just tell her you will come back later or tell her you are going to make some nums and will be back. Ask if you have questions or need a creative way to do something. All the macaw owners have been where you are. :)

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Tonight I went to sit by my husband on the couch and Koko was preening on her play stand about 3 feet away. She got very upset when I sat down by him so I stood up and walked away without looking at her. As soon as I walked away she stopped and went back to preening. I went and sat on the other couch farther from him with no problem.