• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Koko and my daughter

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Tuesday was Koko's first time running after my daughter and not in a good way. My daughter informed Koko that she's an only child so someday she might be Koko's caretaker so she better get her crap together! We're working on it, Koko knows my daughters scared to death of her so she's really playing that. A friend that doesn't have birds and never has told me I should just let Koko bite her good because she read that will help. Unreal... :jawdrop1:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry to hear that. Fear is a tough thing to get over, but you're right- a bird will run with it if she knows she can get away with it. Elvis does that with my fiance. And wow- bad advice. A bite is not a good idea. Jeez. The misinformation that's out there.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I should also add that my daughter has several medical issues and in the past my husband worked full-time and two part time jobs because insurance wouldn't cover most of it :mad: seven surgeries and pt and she thinks I'm going to let a macaw bite her..

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Luv Bug isn't quite so aggressive as Koko, but she does chase anyone who will run from her. I'm sure your daughter only ran from Koko because it was necessary, but Luv Bug thinks it's a fabulous game. And if she catches whomever she's after, she will bite them out of pure excitement if we can't get her put up first. :bored:

In order for my step daughter and a couple of our friends to get along with Bug, we keep a couple of spray bottles set to a fine mist. I know spraying birds is frowned upon here, but we see it as a useful tool to prevent a bite so we use them in this instance. She is a very gifted flier and it is hard to get her put up if she gets overly excited. They are the same bottles that we use for their baths & she is not afraid of the bottles or the spray; it only takes her out of the moment. Luckily there are only a couple of people that she seems to target and when they are in the common areas, they have a bottle for protection. Lately Luv Bug has been slower to attack my step daughter and that has allowed her to pet and scritch Bug more often and I hope it leads to a happier relationship between them.

One of hubby's friends is Bug's current favorite target on game nights so he has a bottle nearby. Bug is allowed to fly to whomever she wants for cuddles & scritches, but if she starts to get wound up we try to put her up before she flies to that fellow for a bite. It is only a last resort if we cannot corral her in time.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I first let Opie out of his cage, I had a big, soft blanket across my lap. That way if he decided he didn’t like the look of me, I could gently deflect him. For a macaw, maybe just have a pillow on hand?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Would it maybe be worth having a few sessions with a behaviourist for Koko and Natasha?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Would it maybe be worth having a few sessions with a behaviourist for Koko and Natasha?
Any thoughts on how/where to find such a person? That's a neat idea :) but I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m pretty sure Pam Clarke does them online? There are a few that I’ve read do online consults-
@JLcribber might know?

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Yes I think so.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I tried explaining to her it can take years to make progress but it's certainly not impossible.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They don’t come more qualified or recommended than Pamela Clark. She is the best IMO.

I don’t know all of your daughter’s issues but the fear has to be dealt with because Koko has her number and knows it.

Whenever Koko is out and around your daughter she should be carrying a “tool” with her like a scary T stick. Serves a few purposes. First if he is actually on the attack the stick is presented as a shield. Koko will hesitate at the least seeing the stick. After a while when the stick isn’t so scary anymore he may approach it. He has a choice. Get on that stick or go away. If he goes away he goes away. If he gets on the stick your daughter has the control. He can bight that stick. So what. Your daughter avoided the bite.

Once in the stick she can spin him around to keep him facing the other way. She can transport him to his cage or wherever and put him down. Again no bite and control. As your daughter learns the handling her confidence will go up. The fear will go down.

74D8887C-E128-434A-AF1A-7AAC43153217.jpeg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Works for Secret!

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Natasha has to try and relax when she has to go by Koko. It will all work out, time and patience.