• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Koki laid 4 fertile eggs, what do i need for baby birds?

parrotman

Strolling the yard
Alright so, my parrots have a nest box in their cages because they were being hormonal and wanting to mate, 10 days later koki laid 4 eggs(all fertile) so I'm wondering what equipment i will need for the baby birds

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara is the lovie expert here! Incidentally, when exactly were the eggs laid? Because if you don't want babies (or don't have the experience) there are plenty of ways of letting the parents sit on the eggs without actually hatching them. E.g. boiling them or getting fake eggs. Although if you know they are fertile I guess it's already been a while since the eggs appeared?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Op seems to be against removing eggs. Koki might be digging a hole in the walls and keeps going behind my closet, ozzy also keeps regurgitating for koki,

So I wonder, why would someone who won´t remove eggs, offer a nest box and allow a male female pair to mate, and not bother to research how to raise baby birds?
A simple google search will tell you you need, formula, thermometres, brooder, heat pad, metal feeding spoon, aspen shavings. This information is all over the internet and this forum.

if you know they are fertile I guess it's already been a while since the eggs appeared?
To get such a reading, the youngest would be at least 7 days, so that would make the first egg 13 days old. If the hen started brooding that egg right away (it can happen), then that means the first egg will hatch in approx. one week. One week to research how to raise such a fragile and complex creature as a baby bird. It is no time at all. Not to mention, buying all the equipment. Things like formula can sometimes be found locally, depending on where in the world. But things like the feeding spoon are harder to find and usually need to be bought online. All of these things are needed from day one of hatching, just incaase the parents abandon the little one. Without heat (a brooder) the chick will perish within hours.

@parrotman I highly recommend fingin a local breeder and handing over the little ones when they hatch. Or at a minimum ask the breeder to show you the ropes and be your mentor throughout this clutch. If it´s the latter, be sure to buy all the equipment today (especially if online shopping).