• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Knowing Sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
How important is knowing sex. I don't plan on getting another love bird ever. So is there different treatment for a male verses a female love bird when it comes to vetting.

I am planning on making Skylars appointment for the vet and the vet asked me if I wanted to figure out sex buts it like 100 bucks just for that. Is that something I could do later and Skylar be safe.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I have almost all of mine sexed so that I can rule out or consider problems with egg binding. It's only my lovebird that I don't know about, but we have a strong hunch that he's male.

All in all, it's really not that important, but I'm personally a big worrier so I like to have that extra piece of info.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
If you want to find out the sex. $25 here. Service Pricing
what do i need to have him tested for other then sex i will talk to my vet about that. How do i get a feather from him without hurting him or will my vet do that?

I want to have info when i walk into our vets office

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Why is the DNA $100 bucks? It should be around $45 for the vet to do it with a drawn blood sample. That just seems way to high.

Ginger

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My vet charged $40.00 for DNA sexing! $100.00 is crazy high!!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I only for sure know the sex of four of my birds...

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
I dont know they are the only avian vet within 50 miles of me. I live on Galvetson island so it hard to find a vet without driving forever to find one. This vet treats my dog cat rabbit also. he is pretty good and he knows birds.

A lot of bird people out here use them

Status
Not open for further replies.