• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi's plucking and I think I'm causing it :(

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
I think she's plucking. I haven't seen her do it yet but she's always had a habit of over preening and lately when she preens she loses more feathers than usual. I don't think it's a molt. I am starting college soon and being stressed out my stepmother and I have been butting heads a lot. I've noticed on days we fight more or tensions are high she loses feathers. My stress is rubbing off on her and that makes me feel terrible. I think she worries about us, today I was crying and she hopped on my shoulder and rubbed her beak across my back like a person would do with their hand. Breaks my heart to know that she doesn't understand the reasons behind the stress and is worrying herself over our changed demeanor.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww, don't beat yourself up. It seems like she knows you aren't feeling that great and it may be stressing her out. I'm the biggest hypocrite when it comes to giving advice for stress relief, but maybe you should maybe have a movie night or a nice hot cup of tea with Kiwi. :hug8:
Our fids definitely know when we aren't at the top of our game. When I'm feeling crappy, Java becomes very quiet or overly beaky. There have been times when he would start mumbling to himself as if he were seeing if I was upset with him or not.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hoping your stress level will reduce and the tension will ease so that you can both feel better! Sometimes I feel we should all be much nicer to ourselves, because in the end, all we have is ourselves, and 'sometimes' each other. Sending great big hugs! :hug4::hug4::hug4:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope things settle down for you and it turns out Kiwi is just molting. Try not to blame yourself because that will only make you feel more stressed and in turn cause Kiwi more stress. Look after yourself and be as kind and loving to you as Kiwi is, difficult times hit us all every now and then and they always pass with some time so just stay strong for a little while longer :) :hug8:

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
Thank you all for the support and good vibes :grouphug3:but @Shezbug it feels like she JUST finished her last molt! Ugh :bash: just when we ger ger back to normal and its time for another. Better than plucking though, whew! Do g2s typically molt in both fall and winter or did she just not finish the last one yet?