• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi

Jodecii

Moving in
Hi Everyone-
I have had my quaker, Kiwi for a year now. The past month or two I have not been able to go near him or touch him. The only way he lets me hold him is if he flies to a spot in the house and wants picked up. I don't understand what has changed, but he is not friendly anymore.

I am not giving up on him. I just am looking for some experienced opinions. What should I do to to encourage him to like me again! He is my only bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Was he a baby when you got him? Just wondering if hormones have anything to do with the changes or if it is more to do with what he has learned and feels rewarded for.

I know nothing about Quakers other than they are adorable! @Mizzely, I know you no longer have a quaker but for the life of me I can only think of one member off the top of my head with a quaker and they have not been on for a while now. Can you help?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How old is he?

My quaker went through this too at about 8 months old. He wanted nothing to do with me all of a sudden. The harder I tried, the more he resisted.

Let him come to you :) I found if I sat nearby watching TV or reading a book with a healthy (shareable) snack, Jingo would come over to investigate. I'd share my food and he'd fly off with it. Eventually he came back around :)