• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi my Quaker parrot

Lcarmona31

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lucy
Hello my name is Lucy, I just got a Quaker parrot 3 days ago, I love him so much already. I’ve been talking to him everyday before and after work, my question is how long does it usually take for them to get comfortable around you and start making any type of noise, he has been very quiet and doesn’t really go out of his cage.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Each bird is different and will take a different amount of time to become comfortable with their new home and person.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Lucy! 1.welcome signs.gif

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomegroup: Welcome Lucy!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:welcome2:
Congratulations on your new one!
It can take a few days for them to feel safe and start moving around .

Parrots are so intelligent like a 3-5 year old toddlers. So they can feel the disorientation and shock of going to a new home. As a prey species they feel a little vulnerable . It can be overwhelming for them , and each as an individual will react differently.

Keep doing as you are with visiting. And hand out bribe treats. For me that's safflower seeds, or popcorn, or fingernail size sliver of apple. Some birds trust enough you can hand to them. Never chase with your treat, you hold out they come over and take. If thst trust isn't there yet I use a small treat only dish. And shoe them the treat abd out in dish. Thrn I tell them good bird when they take.

Im Trainers court all the thread at the top.the sticky threads in yellow highlights. Should have info to help you get started. Linking one

Last edited:

Lcarmona31

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lucy
:welcome2:
Congratulations on your new one!
It can take a few days for them to feel safe and start moving around .

Parrots are so intelligent like a 3-5 year old toddlers. So they can feel the disorientation and shock of going to a new home. As a prey species they feel a little vulnerable . It can be overwhelming for them , and each as an individual will react differently.

Keep doing as you are with visiting. And hand out bribe treats. For me that's safflower seeds, or popcorn, or fingernail size sliver of apple. Some birds trust enough you can hand to them. Never chase with your treat, you hold out they come over and take. If thst trust isn't there yet I use a small treat only dish. And shoe them the treat abd out in dish. Thrn I tell them good bird when they take.

Im Trainers court all the thread at the top.the sticky threads in yellow highlights. Should have info to help you get started. Linking one
thank you so much! Will definitely try it out !

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue Lucy

Avis

Meeting neighbors
Hello and welcome to Avian Avenue!
I recommend looking at BirdTricks. They have a youtube channel and the best advice out there (in my opinion). They talk about what to do with new birds to build trust and reduce fear. They work with all types of parrots from as little as Budgies to as big as Macaws.
I hope the best of luck to you and your little bird and wish for you to have great experiences together.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Tyrion