• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Kiwi just ate my earring!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
My advice would be to keep an eye on him and any behaviour that points to trouble then intervene and take him to a vet.If I was to list all the things that Leroy has eaten over the years, and she is fine. Earings came top of the list and even precious ring stones, but they did not show up at the vet's or since, and she is going strong. Admittedly she is a Grey and a larger bird but it is surprising how things get sorted out in their crops and past with other things.
Lots of bits I thought she had swallowed have also turned up later on the floor somewhere, where she flew off and dropped them. Good luck, hope it turns out well. You will have to do what I was taught to do, take your earings off before going near the birds!:hug8:

RedSoxFan85

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kynyetta or Keke!
i dont really have any new advice to offer, i agree about the olive oil and pb, i have heard similar stories and they used both. I hope he didnt swallow it but if he did i pray everything goes ok. :hug8:

musskulls

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
Are you sure he swallowed it? We thought one of our birds swallowed a diamond (yikes) and she (lovebird) dropped it out of the little husk thing in the bottom of her beak.
You're right, I'm not sure, I'm just assuming the worst and hoping for the best. Kiwi ate the pb last night and he seems to be doing fine, but I'll still talk to a vet. This is why I loooove avian avenue!!! :hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Kiwi you little rascal! You're giving your mommy a heart attack!:eek:

I think you'd be safe to just watch him for any signs of heavy metal toxicity. If you wanted to, you could take him in to the vet and get an x-ray done but chances are probably pretty good that it just passes through his system, especially if you keep feeding PB. Good luck and let us know how he's doing.

LemonGrass

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck! :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Hopefully Kiwi just dropped it somewhere that you can't it at. Let us know how it goes :hug8:.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Good luck and hope it all turns out Ok. I often think my Grey Leroy is worth quite a lot of money if I can put it down to material objects and the items she has destroyed over the last eleven yrs. Then we do not evaluate them in such a shallow way as the love they give and the laughter they bring are priceless.:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.