• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi isn’t eating her veggies

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
So i’ve offering her veggies everyday but she doesn’t seem to even want to try it. I have tried giving it to her in my hand and she flew away. I have mixed it with her food and she didn’t want it either. Today i mixed it with millet since she really likes it but as soon as she sees what it is she doesn’t even bother to take a bite. So far i’ve tried carrot, apple, cucumber and cabage but none of them work. And i know cucumber and cabage are not recommended since it has a lot of water but i wanted to try and see if she was interested.

I really want her to eat more than just normal seeds, millet and mineral feed.:sad14:
How did you guys do it?
Thanks in advance!:greet15:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds like you need to call out the many ways to entice your bird to eat human foods. Birdie bread is one of them. I get Harrisons basic mix on Amazon ad mix in the veggies such as pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots, kale, almonds and so on. My budgies adore the results. Also try hanging wet greens from your cage with a bag clip or a skewer that you have hung veggies on. Broccoli is a good one for this. Think out of the box and try to use other serving ideas and get away from the "bowl" of veggies. Good luck

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
Sounds like you need to call out the many ways to entice your bird to eat human foods. Birdie bread is one of them. I get Harrisons basic mix on Amazon ad mix in the veggies such as pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots, kale, almonds and so on. My budgies adore the results. Also try hanging wet greens from your cage with a bag clip or a skewer that you have hung veggies on. Broccoli is a good one for this. Think out of the box and try to use other serving ideas and get away from the "bowl" of veggies. Good luck
Thank you! I’ll see if i have any clips

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Another helper to get a budgie to eat veggies is to have more than one budgie. It makes a huge difference if two are eating together.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
To get TD to try new things I have found that the best way is to eat/touch/do the thing I want him to do. Any food I want him to try, it never fails if I stand by his cage and make a big deal about eating it myself. I show it to him, I take a bite, I ohh and ahh, I say "yum yum yum" , I eat some more, I ohh and ahh, I say "yum yum yum, this is soooooo goooooooood". Then I say "try some?" and put a little piece on his perch, where he has been watching my performance with a silly little grin on his beak, and he'll look at it, back away, look at me. So, I show him mine, I eat some more, I ohh and ahh, (you get the picture). Then, EVERY TIME, he tries some!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I find eating stuff in front of her (snacking on carrots while making sure she sees you doing it) and then offering her some helps add interest.