• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi going through a hard molt

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Eggs and eggshells are good during the molt. They need an increased amount of calcium and protein to put out new feathers from what I've read. Egg whites are the part of the egg with the most protein whereas the yolk has most of the other nutrients and fat.

I made my conure a birdie bread out of her pellet dust, eggs, eggshells, calcium rich greens, and other goodies to have as a healthy treat during her molt. Maybe you could try that if your budgies won't eat egg by itself. And be sure to wash the eggs before feeding them any shells.

Your budgies are super cute by the way!!

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Eggs and eggshells are good during the molt. They need an increased amount of calcium and protein to put out new feathers from what I've read. Egg whites are the part of the egg with the most protein whereas the yolk has most of the other nutrients and fat.

I made my conure a birdie bread out of her pellet dust, eggs, eggshells, calcium rich greens, and other goodies to have as a healthy treat during her molt. Maybe you could try that if your budgies won't eat egg by itself. And be sure to wash the eggs before feeding them any shells.

Your budgies are super cute by the way!!
Great info! I’ve always wanted to serve my budgies birdie bread but I never had all the ingredients. I will go grocery shopping for some bird-safe ingredients this weekend! Thank you all!

elitys

Real Name
Elise
Great info! I’ve always wanted to serve my budgies birdie bread but I never had all the ingredients. I will go grocery shopping for some bird-safe ingredients this weekend! Thank you all!
You should definitely gather some recipe ideas. I kind of just made mine without a recipe and calling it "bread" is kind of generous :lol: It looks more like a greenish brown brick of eggshell, seeds, and walnuts. Poppy likes it though and it helped me use up some pellet powder that would have gone to waste. I still have a few slices of it in the freezer.

Attachments

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
You should definitely gather some recipe ideas. I kind of just made mine without a recipe and calling it "bread" is kind of generous :lol: It looks more like a greenish brown brick of eggshell, seeds, and walnuts. Poppy likes it though and it helped me use up some pellet powder that would have gone to waste. I still have a few slices of it in the freezer.
I know you said you didn't follow a recipe but could you share with us what you used as the base to hold everything together?

Preeno doesn't like egg but would eat eggshell. Perhaps the bread would be useful for the protein part!

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
I know you said you didn't follow a recipe but could you share with us what you used as the base to hold everything together?

Preeno doesn't like egg but would eat eggshells. Perhaps the bread would be useful for the protein part!
Yes! I'd like to know how you made it too
it looks great!
maybe I could sneak some egg in there

elitys

Real Name
Elise
@clarousel @Skyandkiwi

The majority of the bread is made from about 1-2 cups of leftover Caitec pellet powder. I blended this with two whole eggs, some greens, walnuts, flax seeds, whole oats, and added water until it was "wet enough." Really, I just winged it with what i had in the kitchen and it was kind of a mess :lol:Sorry I can't be of more help.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
@clarousel @Skyandkiwi

The majority of the bread is made from about 1-2 cups of leftover Caitec pellet powder. I blended this with two whole eggs, some greens, walnuts, flax seeds, whole oats, and added water until it was "wet enough." Really, I just winged it with what i had in the kitchen and it was kind of a mess :lol:Sorry I can't be of more help.
lol! It’s that’s easy! How long did you bake it for?

elitys

Real Name
Elise
lol! It’s that’s easy! How long did you bake it for?
I think about an hour. It was still pretty moist when I was done but hadn't risen at all. I'd recommend adding baking powder or soda or some other rising agent.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
I think about an hour. It was still pretty moist when I was done but hadn't risen at all. I'd recommend adding baking powder or soda or some other rising agent.
Good to know!
I just created a thread for people to share their birb bread recipes! Let’s see what other awesome ideas people have! Yours looks delicious! Great job:loveshower:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t find either of my birds to be more tired nor sleeping more during a molt. I do find they’re not as tolerant when growing new feathers and they’re kinda fidgety and frustrated I guess. I also find both of them tend to go for the higher protein foods but I do not notice any difference in their interest towards higher calcium foods- calcium is needed when laying eggs, protein is needed for growth.
I no longer even bother with cuttlefish bone as it is not overly high in available and useful calcium. It was used for beak grooming but once there were lots of things to shred the cuttlefish bone was only attractive to sit and poop on apparently.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you guys use a raising agent for your Birdie bread please make sure it is aluminium free.

elitys

Real Name
Elise
If you guys use a raising agent for your Birdie bread please make sure it is aluminium free.
Ooh, good tip. I didn't even consider that. Would it have to mention the aluminum in the ingredients list or is there another way to check?

Ephy

Walking the driveway
My Kiwi tends to go through really bad molts.

I usually increase, hard boiled eggs, offer egg shells, and most importantly which seems to help him alot is to brew some calendula tea and instead of water, he bathes in the tea after its cooled down.

I use the tea in full strength and diluted, depending on the bird I offer it to.

He also likes to drink it, he love eating ice so i freeze the tea for him and its a healthy treat he loves.

Extra Fresh veggies are always helpful too

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
My Kiwi tends to go through really bad molts.

I usually increase, hard boiled eggs, offer egg shells, and most importantly which seems to help him alot is to brew some calendula tea and instead of water, he bathes in the tea after its cooled down.

I use the tea in full strength and diluted, depending on the bird I offer it to.

He also likes to drink it, he love eating ice so i freeze the tea for him and its a healthy treat he loves.

Extra Fresh veggies are always helpful too
awwww! I've never tried offering my budgies tea...
although, I heard that chamomile tea is very good and soothing for birds
I'll give it a go!

Hooper

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sina
There are bird mixes with egg protein and calcium. During moulting, I put a teaspoon every third day in the bird seed mix.
Baths,baths, baths soothes them and rubbing on the perch, rope and cuttlebone and even the cage. I do a light misty water spray if hooper hasn’t bathed in 3 to 4 days, he is still learning that the bowl is safe. Some darlings get scared of the spray too, if so, spray facing upwards so it drops over. I sometimes do this when he is perched on my head:)
This is his first moult (started 2 weeks ago and ongoing) and his first bath. Made him watch me as I fill the bowl from the sink. I put it on top of the cage and put my head very close to pretend I am gong to drink (you must think I am mad), he watched, had a sip and slipped in to my favour, then realised this is good and repeatedly jumped in and out. He was too soaked after that, I put him out to dry. Now he has a bath every other day and if not it’s mist from the heavens.

Attachments