• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi & Birdlife Park and Dunedin Botanic Gardens of New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Finally got some (most) uploaded somewhere! These first videos are from Kiwi & Birdlife Park. Some of the videos are education, others are just watching some of the birds in their own enclosers!

Red Fronted Kakariki's. There's two displays for these guys, and this one only houses a single pair of Kaks. I had seen kaks before, but had never really heard them! I was surprised with how interesting and unique they sounded! One was also trained for the show, picking up litter and dumping it in a trash bin, but unfortunately the vid I took wasn't that great (got the end of it...)

This video is about the possums in New Zealand. These guys, as cute as they are, are unfortunately a hazard to the native Kiwi wildlife...

Video about Rainbow Lorikeets. This one is a well trained bird!

One of the Rainbow Lorikeets tricks, performed for the audience!

The pigeons in New Zealand are *HUGE*!!!!!!!! And oh my, so gorgeous as well! I saw a couple flying in the air and it was amazing! They would fly up, then pause mid-air with their wings spread, tilting towards the side and disappear 'soaring' (or would we call that 'free-falling'? :stuart: ) behind some trees.

This video is in the walk-in enclosure for the Keas. There's two of them, and you see the second one at the end of the video. The male is the one going about his habitat, and the female is the one in the rocks. No one noticed the female as we were leaving, but I figured I'd like to try to take some more videos of the male, only to realize that at the end of taking this video, there was a second kea there! So I had gone back in to take more pictures of the two!

In the end, I was most fascinated with the Antipodes Island Parakeets. There was a pair in one enclosure, and one of them just *loved* his little red bucket! It was quite amusing watching him entertain himself!

And this last video is of a Kaka at the Dunedin Botanic Gardens. There were quite a few species of birds here, from black cockatoos (both red tailed and yellow tailed), to king parrots, kakarikis, indian ringnecks, scarlet chested parakeets, sulfur crested cocktoos, scarlet macaw, african greys, musk lorikeet, keas, doves, finches, crested pigeons, etc!

I took over 2,000 photos while on my trip, and had a hard time trying not to upload over 400 somewhere... (I managed with 300 some photos! :hehe: )

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
That must have been a wonderful trip, thank you for sharing. I would love to visit there:hug8::hug8::hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I found the kaka especially interesting!

Matt

Bambino

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Melissa
Great videos!, You most have had a blast.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Went to New Zealand to visit family from Jan 25th to Feb 15th. Overall, New Zealand is a beautiful country, from what I saw! And although expensive to live there, it would be nice to be able to visit every now and then. It was really neat seeing a variety of creatures, not only birds but insects and mammals, too! I could *almost* see myself living there, or somewhere a lot like it!

I got home late on the 16th, and left mid-morning to go pick up my dog, then while in town, was picked up by a friend to head to Sacramento, for my next trip... to the Bahama's! Between New Zealand and the Bahama's, I'd pick NZ any day! Sure, the water is gorgeous and there's great weather in the Bahama's, but I could not stand the bugs (aka "no-see-ums"), and well... food is expensive, poor selection of meats, and the island we stayed on, if you walked away from the populated areas, it was trashy... All those aside, it was a nice trip!

Just felt sorry for the birds, because they had to be boarded for the entire time I was away... from Jan 23rd, to March 6th. Well, I was officially home on the 2nd, but due to work hours clashing with the stores open hours, I couldn't get the birds until the weekend. :( And they were none too pleased with being boarded, but at least they are happier now being home! :laughing12:

Status
Not open for further replies.