• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kitty Went to See Dr. Driggers Yesterday

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I took her in mainly because her nails were obnoxiously long (she is too wild for me to trim safely), but also with all of her diseases, I thought it was time to see the Dr. again. He cleaned both nostrils out - they were pretty badly stopped up.

First, Dr. confirmed that with her history and symptoms she is definitely clinically PDD positive now. We were both suspicious, but now we are sure. Yes, it is a death sentence, but we don't know how long from now. No bird and not one of us knows how long we will live. The objectives now are to keep her weight up, keep her as healthy otherwise as possible, and make her as happy as she can be. She's happy now and getting more relaxed and interactive every day.

He was pleased with her weight gain - from 909gm on Jan.29th to 994gm yesterday. This has been accomplished by feeding her a calorie rich formulation twice a day. The formula consists of ground Tropicana pellets (22% protein), Almond butter, Tofu, Red Palm oil, Flax seed oil, Olive oil (high calorie/almost no saturated fats, Prozyme and probiotics. She has free access to Harrison's High Potency pellets 24/7 and eats them pretty well and I feed her some fresh chop and a cooked brown ice/barley mixture (she eats vey little, if any.)

Her air sacs sound better (pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome) - she has been away from the cockatoos for four months now.

For medication she is getting;
Celebrex - for treatment of ABV/PDD
Sildenafil - for Atherosclerosis and high blood pressure
Gabapentin - for pain and as a calming agent (very successful so far)
Milk Thistle - for liver support
Dandelion Extract - for kidney support

This combination seems to be working well. She has been diagnosed with ABV/PDD, Atherosclerosis and Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What a lucky lady she is despite all of her diagnoses. She truly couldn't have landed in a safer or more loving home. :hug8: It may be uphill but she's doing it, all thanks to you!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You’re giving her the best care and best life. Kudos for the weight gain.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry about the PDD diagnosis, but all in all a good update - that´s a great weight gain! It´s really good to hear she´s doing well and is happy. She couldn´t have landed in better hands! :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well she is in no better home for herself. If I was a bird I think living out my life with you would be pretty fabulous. :D

Is she chewing anything yet? Geez... I want to send you crap and you have all these toy swallowing parakeets over there!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so happy to hear about her weight gain and that her lungs sound a bit clearer!!

The PDD diagnosis is heartbreaking, and she is profoundly lucky to be in your care.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Rats about the diagnosis.

Glad she's calming down. Guess she decided you weren't going to eat her.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you for updating us all on Kitty's health journey. The weight gain is a HUGE accomplishment in itself!
I, too, wish her Dx could have been different. But I have no doubt she will continue to have a wonderful life in your care. She hit the lottery when she found her way into your heart and home.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Great update. Miss Kitty you are in your new happy spot. You couldn't have a better parront to love you, cherish you and forever be there for you.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry about the diagnosis, but that’s quite the weight gain! I bet she feels so much healthier now that’s she’s with you! :heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Is she chewing anything yet?
Yes she is. She's decided to be a macaw. She's not a big chewer, but she has gone through one toy completely and is working on more. Unlike H&J she likes colored toys - they preferred plain ones (no coloring ). She's heck on ropes and jas chered completely through two 1" + sisal ropes - sisal all over everything. Kitty loves kisses and asks for them quite often. She now allows me to carry her and wrap an arm around her and she has just begun allowing me to touch and pet her sides. My G'son was here for a few days and he put the extra cage up on the patio for her. She has been spending most of the day out there, but isn't as enthusiastic about "outside" as Jasper was. I don't really think she has been allowed outside.

We are making progress.