• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kitten has diarrhea because of medication need advice

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
hello Avian Avenue, long time no see lol

anyway i have some questions for you cat people. you see, i adopted this 2 months old (according to her previous owner, but i thinks she's older) lovely female kitten. she had ringworms on her face so i took her to the vet and he told me to get prednisone and give it to her (its pills so i have to hind it between food she likes). she has been recovering nicely and her face is starting to heal, which is good, but she now has diarrehea. i didnt think much of it at first cuz i read it was a common side effect of the medication, and unless it gets worse, or shows other allarming symptoms like vomitting and sudden weight loss (no symptoms except watery stool), its gonna be fine. anyway, i read that giving her bland food with boiled rice helps with the tummy problems, so i have been giving her boiled fish (no bones ofc) and boiled rice, no seasoning, but its didnt get better (i've been doing this for 3 days now).

so my question is, what should i do to ease the diarrehea until treatement is finished?

unrelated to all of this, but i have 2 other questions:

1-how should i prooceed to change the location of her litter box? i wanna put in a toilet no one uses, but when i took it there, and even brought her to see it, she ended up pooping on the floor. the litter box is currently in my room cuz thats where she feels safest.

2-i live in an appartement on the first level, and my kitten loves windows and the balcony, i've often caught her jumping to the window while it is open, and chilling/playing in balcony. which i get, she wanna see the outside and relax in the sun, but im afraid she'll end up slipping and falling and getting lost, or worse, injured. should i be worried about this? i dont wanna stop her for enjoying the outside but i dont want her to get in trouble (she's gonna be an indoor only cat and the windows have metal bars that usually are used to stop babies from falling, but she can get past those)

any advice is welcome. thank you all in advance :D

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I’m pretty sure diarrhea is an uncommon side effect in cats taking prednisone (unless they’ve been on it for an extended length of time at a high dose) so I can’t offer much, but...
•Give her the prednisone in the evening.
•Don’t give it to her on an empty stomach. Continue to give it to her with food or after she’s eaten.
•Talk to your vet about tapering her off of the prednisone, and perhaps starting her on a different medication.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
She can and will most likely end up escaping from your balcony unless it is covered in with netting so if you wish to keep her as a solely indoor cat (which I really love ;) ) then you might want to rethink the open windows and balcony being accessible to her. Cats have been known to frequently jump off balconies and house roofs so being high up is not a guarantee she won't get out through either a jump or fall. I also believe that they have a higher chance of hurting themselves falling or jumping from the lower floors than they do from the higher floors so I do think it is a potential hazard for you both.

They also usually do best with more than one litter tray if you can manage it- I never had issues with my last cat and the litter box being moved as long as I showed her where the litter was, it was easy for her to get to, was in a quiet place she was comfortable with and she had privacy then I could honestly move her box three times a day and she was fine. The cats I had before my last one were the kinds of cats that I did not dare move the box or they would mess in the place the tray used to be- they also refused to use the box if I got the wrong litter or had the wrong amount in there :eek:.

I can not offer any help with the meds or diarrhoea I am sorry.

Reactions: tka

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Rogue is on prednisone to that gives her bloody diarrhea. The vet told us to give sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of Metamucil on her food. She is a 3 pound dog so this shouldn't be to far off for a kitten.